Friday, November 16, 2007

I'll show you how to cyclops rock, then you turn around and break my heart

Two nights ago I was finishing eating dinner with a friend when my phone rang. I almost didn't answer it because I didn't recognize the number, but decided to once I realized it was a number from the Salt Lake area. It was my kids' step-dad calling with some bad news. My son had accidentally shot my daughter in the eye with a BB-Gun and they were at the emergency room. It was late, and there wasn't much I could do to help with anything, so I just sent home and worried. I got a little bit of sleep, but woke up at 3:30 the next morning, packed my things and got on the road at about 5:00 so that I could be with my kids. It's good that I left when I did, because I got to their house just in time to take her to get a CT scan that the doctor had ordered. We got the results back today, and everything looks good. The doctors are confident that she won't need surgery, that she's on the way to recovery, and that she'll regain her normal vision. There's still too much blood in her eye to know for sure that there isn't any retinal detachment, but it looks like the blood that's in her eye is being reabsorbed by the body, so we should know more on Monday. But don't take my word for it. See for yourself:



The silver lining? My friend had to cover the bill for the meal because I was on the phone. And it was fairly expensive. I'll have to pay her back. The other is that I'm able to spend time with my kids, even though it's not under the best of circumstances. I'll be in SLC until we're certain that everything is alright.

7 comments:

Keira said...

Oh my gosh! Hope everything will be ok...keep us posted. We'll keep her in our prayers.

AnoMALIE said...

My bro shot me in the right eye with a rubber band when I was about 12 and I still remind him of it each time I wear my glasses around him (I have the crappiest vision in my right eye thanks to him).

But anyway, wow! What a trooper your girl is! She's a brave one in my book (and pretty gangsta now, since not too many people can claim to have gotten shot in the eye and still look as cute as before).

steph said...

oh! hope she's ok...i'm sending good thoughts!
i also love that she is totally smirking in the picture...like she knows she looks like a total bad ass.

Delirious said...

Have her check out great Uncle L's scar where the rooster pecked him in the eye. I'm so relieved to hear that there isn't any serious damage. I always say, if I can just keep my kids alive until they are responsible adults, I will have done my job. :)

PsychDoctor said...

How about Evan Y. throwing a fork into Neil Y.'s eye at dinner in the town we used to live in? Neil's eye turned completely black and I think his iris disappeared. :(

I guess "The Christmas Story" Santa was right about red rider bb guns...

Nene said...

You definitely need to buy "A Christmas Story" for her and her brother to watch. :0) Hope she heals up quickly!

Anonymous said...

Good Lord! And she's smiling!? What a trooper. I hope everything gets back to normal for her soon.