Monday, December 24, 2007

I am so homesick, but it ain't that bad, 'cause I'm homesick for the home I never had

For the first time in my life, I'm spending Christmas away from my family. I have to admit, it's a little depressing even though I should be grateful that I've been fortunate enough to go 32 years before experiencing it for the first time. I would say I'm homesick, but I'm not sure that term really applies. I miss people, and I miss places, but at different times and in different ways. Right now I'm missing people.

My parents have lived a somewhat nomadic life. They've moved something like 33 times since they've been married. They've moved twice since I graduated from high school. As a result, I don't really have a home town, and since I never lived in the house they're in now, it doesn't really feel like home either. After all, it's not like I ever had a room there or anything. Not to mention the fact that I don't really know anyone who lives there besides my family (well, there are a few people I went to high school with there, but I don't go visit them because we're not as cose as we once were). Don't get me wrong, I like to visit, but that's because my family's there, not because I feel like I'm going home. In fact, when people ask me if I'm going home for various holidays I usually respond with, "I'm going to my parents' house." It's a subtle distinction, but it's more correct.

For the most part, I grew up in a small town in southern Utah (after spending years 1-6 in western Montana). When I was in high school we moved to an even smaller town in northeastern Utah (the very northeastern corner to be exact). Driving through these towns almost always brings back a flood of memories on the rare occasions that I do it, but they don't feel like home because the people are missing.

Last month, when my daughter got shot in the eye, I drove to Salt Lake City, and as I pulled into town got the feeling that I was home. The funny thing about that is I've never lived in Salt Lake City. However, my kids live there now, as does my best friend from high school. I always have a place to stay. I can always spend time with someone who is near and dear to me when I'm there. I wish I could do that this week.

Luckily, I've got some friends here in town that are taking care of me this Christmas. Without them, I think I'd be getting really depressed.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I am so happy that you have friends to spend the day with although I know it doesn't compensate for not seeing your kids. I can't even imagine what that would be like and I don't want to try. I hope you have a good one Mr Minnow. ((Hugs))

mindy said...

I'm sorry you're not with family this week. I'm sure that must be rough. I think my brother feels that way during the holidays, too. He is divorced with one daughter up in Idaho.

Oh, and just so you know, you'd be welcome to stay at our place in Provo should you ever want to. We'd be happy to have you! And your kids could come hang out and play in our awesome backyard.

Happy Holidays!

Delirious said...

Merry Christmas D! I haven't sent out my CHristmas cards yet. lol Maybe you can have a "post-Christmas" celebration with your kids. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie. You can come over and eat meat any time...

steph said...

i hope christmas was wonderful -- i spent my first christmas away from home last year, with my in-laws, in florida. after every holiday being associated with snow and cold and my family's traditions, it was a little weird..a lot weird...i don't think it matters how old you are, you can always miss home, or your parents' house, just a little bit.

Dee Ice Hole said...

I really wish you could have been here today---you aren't the only one that gets homesick for people. I learned a long time ago that you don't really get homesick until you can't go home. I learned that in 1968 when I was in Basic Training---it sucked---my mother sent a letter every day with a quarter in it to buy a treat---was kind of nice but not like being home.

I talkee to your youngest two last night and the little one really loved the cars---he opened them early...the next ne opened the art supplies so was having a great time with being an artist or so he said.

We had a good morning but did really miss having a lot of folks around the house. Hope you are well.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...we didn't go down to Mom and Dad's either...we did see M**** on her way home, and I dropped by to See M*** at his inlaws, but it was a weird Christmas...Psycho