Monday, December 31, 2007

It's pencil rot

Silent Kid flew into town for the weekend. Since I was supposed to pick him up Friday evening when he got in, and since most of my friends are out of town for the holidays anyway, I ended up waiting at home instead of going out with friends after work. He called to tell me that his flight had been delayed, so I turned on the TV to kill some time. I flipped through the channels, and quickly realized there really wasn't anything on, so I settled on some trainwreck TV: I watched the final three episodes of A Shot At Love with Tila Tequila. Yes, I am ashamed of this (but Tila totally should have picked Dani over Bobby).

The next day Silent Kid and I went to the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace so we could go to the Virgin store. That store has closed since the last time I went there (as had two other record stores we tried to go to that day), so we really just did a lot of walking around for nothing (and I use the term 'walking' in the loosest possible sense of the word, given the fact that I can't exactly 'walk' anymore, it's more of a hobble since I'm so gimpy).

Anyway, as we made our way back through the mall, I mentioned something I'd seen on A Shot At Love that troubled me (aside from the TV show itself). In the corner of the screen, MTV would periodically put up a banner that read: "Having Tila withdrawl?", and then directed viewers to the show's web site for extra information, cast interviews, etc.

I told Silent Kid that it really bothered me that we've reached a point where you can't be sure whether MTV is misspelling 'withdrawal' in order to be cool, or if they really didn't know how to spell it and nobody on the editorial staff was smart enough to catch it. It is MTV after all.

He replied, "Yeah, well, you know what makes me angry?"

"What?"

"The name of that store right there."

I looked where he was pointing, and saw a shoe store named Shoooz.

English is dead.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I take it you don't get your hair styled at the Kut-n-Kurl?

Jenny said...

U R so rite.

AnoMALIE said...

Yesterday, I passed by that shoe store about three times, and each time I felt this rage building inside me...
Maybe the three million idiot tourists had something to do with it...

NEwayzzzz, HppY Nw YRs!!

Anonymous said...

I hate it when they spell school as SKOOL on kids' stuff.
Irritating.

Michele said...

what's worse is when they SPEAK text. I overheard some kids say "LOL dude BRB."

Kills me to hear that.

Ryan said...

We're all just going to hell in a hand basket.

It's too bad we couldn't spell correctly on the way there.

Amber said...

on a completely random note - tila chose bobby because he was the one that was the meanest to her and as you should know by now, women just love bastards that treat them crappy lol

mindy said...

Hahaha!! I think jetpass wins with the most annoying thing. Speaking text message is the worst.

Karen said...

We have a shoe store in Oz called Shoo Biz....I say why bother even teaching English in skool, I mean school, anymore. It seems to have been made redundant.