Sunday, February 03, 2008

In the third quarter of a tied game rivalry

Since I did nothing today other than shop and watch the Super Bowl, I've really got nothing to say. However, I'm not going to let that stop me. I thought I'd do a running diary of Super Bowl XLII. Read on if you wish, but I can't say I blame you if you decide not to. On with the diary:

3:20 Jordan Sparks sings the national anthem. American Idol still sucks, but I have to admit, the girl's got a good set of pipes. Her voice ain't bad either.

3:25 The team captains take the field for the coin toss. It looks like a street fight could break out. Either that, or a new rendition of Michael Jackson's Bad.

3:27 The New York Giants win the coin toss and will receive.

3:28 I've already seen more ads for House than I care to. It could be a long night.

3:31 Bill Belichick is wearing a red sweatshirt instead of his normal gray one with the sleeves cut off. He must have wanted to dress up for the Super Bowl. It's very becoming.

3:41 The Giants are marching down the field, but all I can think about is what those green dots on the back of the players' helmets are for. I've wondered this all season, but have been too lazy to actually look it up.

3:45 The Giants are the first ones on the board with a field goal. NY 3, NE 0

3:53 There's a myspace page with all the Super Bowl commercials on it. I think we just reached an all new low as a society.

3:56 One of the announcers (I can never tell if it's Jason Buck or Troy Aikman that's talking unless the camera's right on them) talks about Tom Brady's ankle and says that even though he's not experiencing pain, when he goes to plant it, it "might affect the deep throw." My friend calls out from the kitchen, "It might affect the deep throat?" See? It's not just me that's a perv.

3:59 I just noticed that the Patriots form their huddle at a 90 degree angle to the way we formed ours in high school. It never crossed my mind before that different teams might huddle up differently. I'll have to look and see how other NFL teams do this.

4:01 Just because you're able to do things using CGI doesn't mean you should. I'm talking to you, creators of the fox robot.

4:03 Lawrence Maroney just scored a touchdown to put the Patriots in the lead. He's good. NE 7, NY 3

4:07 The first commercial to make me laugh deals with giant carrier pigeons that are wreaking havoc on the streets. Maybe I'll have to visit that myspace page after all.

4:10 Eli Manning completes one of the luckiest passes I've seen in a while: 38 yards to Amani Toomer (It's not a tumor).

4:14 As if to balance out the luck, Eli Manning just threw his first interception of the post season. It couldn't have come at a more inopportune time as the Giants were threatening to score. This could be a huge momentum shift.

4:17 My friend just tells me a story about the time she met a midget dominatrix. Then she tells me it didn't really happen. I've never been so disappointed.

4:19 The second noteworthy commercial airs, and I just have to say, a family of ferocious sleeping badgers is a great premise for a commercial.

4:34 I have to say, the Giants are controlling the ball much better than I (or anybody else) thought they would.

4:40 A new T-Mobile commercial with Dwyane Wade and Charles Barkley. Chuck cracks me up.

4:55 The first half ends with a hail Mary pass that falls incomplete. This game has been exciting so far.

4:57 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are performing the half time show. Since there's no chance of a nipple slip (or if there is, I don't really need to see it) I suppose I'll into the kitchen to eat some chicken that's so good it "has trouble making it onto the plate" according to my friend.

5:05 Wow that chicken was good. She wasn't lying. The gravy was good too. My friend said we had the "perfect storm of gravy" and all I could think of was a giant brown wave getting ready to crash over a fishing boat. Now that's something we should get the CGI guys working on.

5:09 I'm amazed at how young Tom Petty still looks.

5:19 I must be getting fat because I just realized that my balls get pinched in my pants more often than they used to.

5:19 Is there any more gravy?

5:52 A trailer for the movie Jumper starring Darth Vader comes on. I state that the movie looks like it sucks. My friend states that teleportation is the one super power she'd want over all others. That's just because she's inherently lazy.

5:56 Yes, there's still a game on. Tom Brady just narrowly avoided being sacked for a safety. I'm impressed with the Giants' defense.

5:59 Wes Welker comes up with a huge catch. I can't help but wonder how well the Eagles would do if they would ever get some half decent receivers.

6:01 Tom Brady is starting to look a little shaken up. That's not something I'm used to seeing.

6:02 End of the third quarter. If you'd have offered a bet that the score would be that low after three, I'd have taken it and laughed at you. I may have even kicked you in the balls for good measure. Good thing you didn't offer me that bet.

6:11 I just remembered to look at the Giants' huddle. What do you know? It's the same as the way we did ours in high school. I guess different teams do huddle up differently.

6:11 Touchdown Giants. NY 10, NE 7

6:22 An e-trade commercial with a talking baby makes me laugh. The baby is talking about how he made eight times the average trader and says "thought about what to do with all the extra coin. I rented a clown. But, you know, I really underestimated the creepiness."

That reminds me of a joke I once heard: There was a clown who went to a kid's birthday party, and while he was going around entertaining all the kids, he felt a tug on his sleeve. He looked down and there was a little boy who asked him to do a magic trick. He says, "Look kid, I'm a clown. I don't do magic. Here, have a balloon animal instead." He then goes on about his business. A short while later he feels another tug on his sleeve. He looks down, and it's the same kid, asking him to do a magic trick. "Look kid, I already told you once, I'm a clown, I don't do magic. Now beat it." The kid goes away, but not for long. The clown feels another tug on his sleeve, and the kid asks him again to do a magic trick. Frustrated, the clown says, "Ok fine. You want to see a magic trick? Go around to the other side of the house and I'll come show you a magic trick." The kid gets all excited and goes. Once they're around back the clown says, "Alright, now turn around and pull down your pants." The kid obeys. The clown says, "There, do you feel my thumb up your ass?" The kid nods. The clown sticks both hands out with his thumbs in the air and yells, "TA DA."

Think about it.

6:33 New England's offense is finally starting to click.

6:39 Tom Brady to Randy Moss. Touchdown. (see, I told you it was starting to click) NE 14, NY 10

6:45 I want to meet the girl from the Victoria's Secret commercial. (And by "meet" I mean "make out with.")

6:52 Excellent play by the Giants. Great catch by David Tyree. New York has the ball at New England's 24 with 59 seconds left. This game is close!

6:56 Eli Manning lobs it to Plaxico Burress for a touchdown. New York regains the lead. NY 17, NE 14

I suppose now would be an appropriate time for me to thank Plaxico for carrying my fantasy football team for so long, even though he couldn't practice and played injured all year long. Who knows? I probably would have won the whole thing if he'd been healthy. (Ok, that's probably taking it a bit too far, but whatever.)

7:04 The crowd storms the field with 0:01 left on the clock. The officials have to clear off the field so that the Giants can take a knee and run out the clock. New York wins. Un-freaking-believable. So much for New England's perfect season. Wow! Just, wow! I never thought I'd see the day that Eli Manning won a Super Bowl, let alone be named MVP.

7:12 I always feel bad for the players on the losing team. I don't know why I care. They wouldn't feel bad for me. Oh well. I suppose the Patriots had a good run with a historical season and all that, but wow. I guess we don't have to worry anymore about whether their perfect season would be tainted by "Spygate" anymore.

This was a close game. I'm glad I'm not a Pats fan. This one's going to be hard for them to recover from.

As a whole, the commercials were disappointing this year. Is it really so much to ask for more than just a few commercials that are funny? Or for more than a few with gorgeous women? Seriously people. I'm trying to be entertained here.

12 comments:

Manuel said...

I tried to watch it......but I understood nothing.....NOTHING.....

Dee Ice Hole said...

It was an incredible game---I enjoyed watching Peyton Manning in the box cheering Eli as I did watching the game---almost---it was incredible to see the defense on New York hammering the Hell out of Brady---bet he's sore this morning.

2 Dollar Productions said...

This was an extensive diary. I'm right there with on the carrier pigeon and especially the badger commercial.

The game itself got really interesting in the 4th quarter, and Bellicheck leaving the field early seemed appropriate for him.

It was pretty damn good entertainment all in all. Besides, it was free.

Keira said...

I wondered the same thing about the green dots on the helmets...and I agree with dee ice hole...i enjoyed watching peyton manning root for his little brother just as much as i enjoyed watching the giants make tom brady look human after all.

h said...

First NFL game I've watched in years. Glad the scumbag Neps lost.
Always find it funny that Towns like Detroit and Boston celebrate the achievements of their mercenaries by burning large chunks of their cities down. They could learn lessons in winning with class from the South but they won't.

Great catch by that Tyree guy. He should have won MVP but I suspect they gave it to Eli Manning.

If Frito-Lay gave the Music Contract to those low-life Yo-Screaming Rap "artists" I'll puke again. Just knowing they were considered made me puke.

And finally, the wisest statement about Quarterbacks ever made:

The single most under-rated quality of great NFL Quarterbacks is having the BRAINS and the BALLS to run directly forward for a small gain when that's the best option available. John Elway at 38 with no cartilage in his knees would have done so on 7 occassions where Brady opted to get sacked or throw an incomplete pass.
Including 3 he threw in the general direction of scumbag thug Randy Moss who was double-covered.

People who know football realize there is a huge difference between 2nd and 7 and 2nd and 10.



Brady lacks the BALLS and BRAINS to ever be considered great. It's not a matter of speed or alleged tender ankles. Marcia Brady could have picked up 2-5 yards in the 7 circumstances cited.

I think he's probably gay. George Michael used to "date" Supermodels too. It's called PR.

Jenny said...

Troll's comment is almost as long as your post.

I Tivo'd the Superbowl and plan to watch the commercials tonight.

Do you have any idea how empty the malls are on Super Bowl Sunday? It was HEAVEN.

Native Minnow said...

Manuel, it's not the same as soccer, that's for sure. My roommate watches a lot of that, and I'm constantly having to ask him for explanations on the rules.

Dee Ice Hole, yeah, but I'm pretty sure at least once that I saw Peyton look a little less than thrilled about things. Jealous maybe?

$2, sorry about the length of the post. I actually didn't realize it would be this long when I set out to do it.

Keira, if I had to venture a guess, it would be that the green dots have something to do with video games or something, but like I said, I'm too lazy to do the research on that. I'm much too busy writing lengthy blog posts of meaningless stuff.

Troll, they did give Eli the MVP award. I never thought I'd see the day.

AB, I do know how empty the malls are. Immediately following the game we had to run to The Apple Store to get a new power cord for my friend's lap top. It was nice. So nice that I almost bought a lot of stuff I don't really need. I'm glad I refrained.

Delirious said...

My friend Jim says I'm not American because I didn't watch the Superbowl, and I hate hot dogs. Hmm...he might be right...

steph said...

wooo! go bog blue! that was an amazing game!!!!!

deputymomof6 said...

Aren't those green dots "head hunters" that they get for extraordinary plays? I didn't notice them, only saw a little bit as I was working (of course.)

silentkid said...

1. I asked my brother the same thing; did he just say "it might affect the deep throat?".

2. You said taint.

3. "Bud Light. Suck one."

mindy said...

I watched the end of the 4th quarter. And then I watched House. Which was excellent.