Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Well you can't see the stars in the city no, though the hospital lights sure are pretty yeah

Nurse: Do you have diabetes?
Me: No.
Nurse: Any history of heart disease?
Me: No.
Nurse: Renal failure?
Me: No.
Nurse: Incontinence?
Me: No.
Nurse: Any new rashes?
Me: No.
Nurse: Vision problems?
Me: No.
Nurse: Are you on any medications? Blood thinners? Anti-inflammatories?
Me: Nope. None of those.
Nurse: Good.
Me: Wow. That list makes me sound like I'm a healthy person or something.
Nurse: You are healthy. That's good. Now all I have to do is put in the needle for your I.V. and we'll be ready to take you back.
Me: Sounds good.

Nurse: You have nice veins.
Me: Yeah, I get told that a lot.
Nurse: Are you afraid of needles?
Me: It's not my favorite thing in the world to get stuck by one, but I can handle it o.k. Although, let's just say I wouldn't make a very good junkie.

All things considered, I was very at ease with getting another epidural injection for my back. The only part that gave me pause was when I was wheeled into the room for the procedure only to hear my doctor and one of his technicians talking about playing Dungeons and Dragons. They didn't turn me into a Wood Elf or a Left Handed Axe Wielding Dwarf though. Plus, I can walk better than I have in weeks, and I can bend my leg and back further than I've been able to since November, so I'll consider it a success for now.

10 comments:

Lindsay Logic said...

I hope it works for a while. Back injuries suck and take forever to heal. Good luck!

*L*

Anonymous said...

Gotta love epidurals. How the hell else would them women pop out 6 kids at once?

adventures of a mad scientist said...

Epidurals? You don't sound healthy, you sound like a pregnant woman. :P Glad it helps though!

steph said...

i would definitely be very afraid of d and d lovers.

but i hope you get better very soon. glad to hear you are walking about, though. i'm sending you some good thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I made the joke one time to a nurse at a blood drive about how I would suck as a junkie b/c I really was not down with the needles and the sticking, and she replied that actually most of the junkies she'd seen were terrified of needles...

Then it felt weird, cuz it was like she all the sudden didn't believe I didn't do drugs and that I had made the joke as a cover which she had successfully blown...

Delirious said...

When I had my c-section, the doctors and nurses were talking about the football game during the surgery. I kept thinking, "Are they paying attention to what they are doing????"

Karen said...

When I had an epidural to pop out my twins, me and the Doc were talking about ski-ing. I just prayed he wouldn't get too excited about his upcoming trip while sticking me with that ginormous needle.

Glad to hear that you can walk now and hope it continues to get better.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Whatever works, eh? The relief walking, bending, etc. has got to be worth it.

That veins line is something you should brag about outside the medical arena.

h said...

Could be worse. I caught my Mom's "Doctor" muttering about "Jihad against the infidels" recently. I switched her to an American Doctor who probably actually went to Medical School and such.

AnoMALIE said...

Good to know you're feeling/walking better.
:)
Handicapped Minnow made me sad
:(