Friday, April 18, 2008

My flying saucer, where can you be?

I'm not sure what reminded me of this, but when I was six years old my family moved from Montana to rural Utah. At first, my parents couldn't find a place for us to live, so we ended up staying in a hotel for the first month or so in our new town, dining in restaurants when we weren't at school.

One day we were eating, and there was a man who'd had a tracheotomy sitting at a table near us. I kept hearing his robotic voice, and was fascinated by it. I had to leave our table to go to the bathroom, and on the way back I stopped by his table, looked up at him and asked, "Hey Mister, are you from outer space?"

He wasn't. Who knew?

11 comments:

Jenny said...

If you had been 10, you would have been a jerk.

Amber said...

too cute! what did he say?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

steph said...

ha! and that is one of the many reasons i work with kids -- the honesty is fabulous!
glad to see you still say/think totally honest and inappropriate things in adult land -- one of the many reasons i love to read your blog!

Bill From Gainesville said...

NICE I love the innocence of the child question or statement.

Anonymous said...

Your Mom told me that story. Except she said it was last year.

mindy said...

that's a great story! I love it when kids say, "Mister." It reminds me of television shows that I've never seen because they went off the air fifteen years before I was born.

Anonymous said...

Actually, you talked to the guy in the parking lot of the Best Western Inn...He laughed and pretended that he was...Dr. Psycho...

Simon said...

Thanks for the comment, but dude, it's either VERY late or VERY early there...!

2 Dollar Productions said...

Seems like a reasonable question to me. Also, excellent Waits song to the side today.

Karen said...

Out of the mouths of babes. Cute.. I would be interested to hear what his reaction was.