Sunday, June 29, 2008

Goin' your way anyway

You can tell you're driving across South Dakota when . . .

. . . every convenience store is either a Loaf-n-Jug or Kum 'n Go.
. . . you see a couple hundred signs advertising Wall Drug.
. . . you drive past the Corn Palace.
. . . the scenery doesn't change for hundreds of miles.
. . . seriously, the scenery doesn't change for hundreds of miles.
. . . the highlight of your day is crossing the Missouri River.
. . . you start wondering what's so great about those plains anyway.
. . . you come to the realization that Black Hills gold actually comes from the Black Hills.
. . . out of boredom, you start reporting on every insect you hit (e.g., *Splat* "That was a dragonfly.").
. . . your traveling companion doesn't get upset when you start reporting on every insect you hit (e.g., *Splat* "What was that one?" "A bumblebee.").

7 comments:

Manuel said...

snarf......

2 Dollar Productions said...

At least you came out on the other side, and how can you complain when the Corn Palace was withing spitting distance?

Jenny said...

Helloooo I-90. Did you stop at WALL DRUG? Jackalopes! Did you get a picture of the Corn Palace? It's a classic, although I can't figure out why that corn don't pop in the heat.

I love that trip East.

silentkid said...

Kum'n Go? Seriously, who names these places?

Mr. DNA said...

First time I saw a Kum 'n Go I think I giggled for 20 minutes. I bypassed the Sinclair station even though it had cheaper gas.

I just had to have the experience.

Native Minnow said...

Manuel, I hope that was a good snarf.

$2, you're right, I'm very happy I came out the other side. I'd hate to be one of those people who end up staying there forever.

Boxer, we didn't stop at Wall Drug. We did stop at the Corn Palace long enough to take a picture, but we didn't go in. We had too far to drive to do much more than that.

Silentkid, I don't know, but they really need someone like you or me on the board to point out that it might not have the effect they're after.

Mr. DNA, same here. I wanted to take a picture of one, but never actually dug my camera out to do it.

Native Minnow said...

I forgot to add one of the most important ones:

- You put a DVD of the third season of The Wire into your laptop, plug the laptop into the car stereo, and take yourself to Baltimore for three hours.

That's the best way to drive across the state!