Friday, June 27, 2008

You've just gotta smile and hang out with intelligent people

I'm back. Did you miss me?

No?

Oh.

Well, that's a bit awkward, isn't it?

Anyhoo, the meeting was pretty cool. I got to leave the heat of Las Vegas, see some old friends, hear some smart people talk about smart things, etc.

A few thoughts from the meeting:

- Generally speaking, biologists are not a particularly attractive group of people (present company excluded, of course).

- Whoever suggested it would be a good idea to drive to Minneapolis from Las Vegas in order to save money is an idiot.

- I am an idiot.

- After driving for twenty-seven hours over a three day period one relishes the chance to walk everywhere, even if it takes 30 minutes to reach the destination.

- It's a little scary crossing bridges in Minnesota.

- Even with talks going in nine concurrent sessions, there are still times when there's nothing worth listening to.

- Really smart people make everything sound so easy.

- I am incapable of walking on a footbridge across the Mississippi River without singing "1814 took a little trip . . ." in my head.

- I need a better way of dealing with stress.

- When presenting your research at a national meeting it is best to meet the expectations of your audience rather than presenting a talk that is too elementary.

- I'll try to remember that for next time.

- Sometimes when you don't know what you're talking about it's best to take the entire time allotted without leaving any time for questions, especially when the audience includes a few of the leaders of your field of study.

- It's not good to joke about how you're glad you didn't allow time for questions from certain "big named" scientists in the audience to ask you about something you wouldn't know the answer to when one of the "big names" you specifically mention is standing ten feet behind you.

9 comments:

adventures of a mad scientist said...

That last point is a Ph.D. Comics strip in the making. :D Actually, it's probably been done already.

Jenny said...

First, hitting a heavy bag is a fabulous way to relieve stress.

And you were missed, you big Dork.

Anonymous said...

I find conferences so intimidating...that is why I didn't pursue the academic track...Dr. Psycho

Anonymous said...

I think you've been going to the wrong meetings. I recommend anything to do with marine biology or biomed.

Karen said...

I missed you fish boy and your wacked out sense of humour. How did your back hold up after all that driving.

In answer to your question about whether my pants were up or down for the group hug....Unfortunately they were down and thanks for making me think about that one because up til then it hadn't occurred to me :) Ewwww...now I feel kind of dirty.

steph said...

glad you're back! it sounds like it went...well?
and that is a lot of driving, ugh. road trips are not fun when you actually ahve to get to a destination. the road trip just becomes a really long sit down where your whole body tenses up.

Bill From Gainesville said...

Saying Embarrasing stupid stuff in front of smart people is one of my specialties.

Mr. DNA said...

Well, now you know.

mindy said...

yikes! that is one long road trip, mr. idiot. I think your report of the conference is better than the actual conference. Especially as said conference was in Minnesota. (what's up with that?!)