Tuesday, August 05, 2008

My life is totally boring without you around

Togers is staying with me for the next week or two. It's nice having him around, although, I don't feel like a very good dad when I'm leaving him home all day while I'm at work. His mom called me yesterday to see what he was up to. I said, "I don't know, I'm at work, but there's a 30% chance he's reading, a 30% chance he's watching TV, a 30% chance he's playing Halo, and a 10% chance he's sleeping."

I try to make up for it when I'm home. Like last night when I took him to the grocery store with me. Tell me that's not fun and exciting for a twelve year old. Wait, it's not? Fine, how about taking him to see The Dark Knight at an IMAX theater? Is that better?

As we were waiting in line, my friend and I told Togers that he was going to have to start earning his keep while he stays with me. His job? When we go out in public, we'll point out an attractive woman, then he has to go stand by them, let his lower lip quiver and say, "H-h-have you seen my d-d-d-d-dad?"

Granted, twelve might be a little old for that to work, but Mr M isn't down here right now, so I have to work with what I've got.

6 comments:

steph said...

Twelve MIGHT be a little too old for that to work, but then again, a crying 12-year old is pretty sad to see, so it might work even better than a small crying child.

I'm sure he's fine while you're working, he probably loves being with his dad and also loves being able to be alone without siblings and moms around.

Jenny said...

Can't you take him to work and let him grade your papers?

2 Dollar Productions said...

That sounds like a fine way to contribute to the overrall good of the household. And I like ABs suggestion as he could take a first pass at your papers.

mindy said...

12? how come he's so old? Did he love the Dark Knight, too? He must be a tough kid if he wasn't totally freaked out. Friends of mine had to sleep with the lights on after they saw it. ;o)

Native Minnow said...

Steph, I'm sure he loves just being able to play X-Box all day without having to stop to let his little brother play.

AB, that might not be a bad idea. Better to have him sort through all that crap than to make myself do it.

$2, I thought it was a fine idea.

Mindy, he loved it. He keeps joking about how he wants to show me how to make a pencil disappear.

h said...

THAT is funny. And 12 might work with a relatively young (and not to bright) chick.