Saturday, August 16, 2008

My only offer, stifle copies of myself

These are a little late, but they always say better late than never, right? Well, here are the highlights of my evaluations from spring semester. As always, these are actual student responses to the questions they were asked on the evaluation form.

Laboratory Activities
What was your favorite exercise? Why?
- Dissections, because cutting up stuff is fun.
- Field Trip. Not too much gross stuff, interesting and different.
- Yoga; da bomb for real!
- Dissecting Mr. Johnson's* Johnson.

What was your least favorite lab exercise? Why?
- Bacteria phylums was sooooooooo borrring.
- Cutting open the grasshopper. They are gross.
- Pig dissections. I like pigs and would rather have a live one than a dead one.
- Dissection of the grasshopper. It's the most disgusting thing. I may never eat rice again.
- Fetal pig, stinks really really bad - actually made me cry with chemicals in my eye.

What is the major weakness of the lab?
- Have [Other TA] as TA. She is rude, racist, have bad languages** in lab. Horrible.


Laboratory Instructor
How would you rate your instructor's ability in making things understandable and their willingness to help?
- Always available and helps butcher the pig.

How could he/she improve?
- Listen to Death Cab For Cutie!
- Don't be a jerk to girls who cry on exams, ok?
- No more quizzes of DEATH.
- Make a clone of himself***
- More cowbell, better molecules.




*I always make my students name their pigs.

**Really? You're going to use that language to criticize someone who "have bad languages in lab"? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

***Looks like that DNA technology is going to be put to another practical use after all.

4 comments:

Karen said...

That's just mean to make them give the animal a name and then make them cut it up. Once it's got a name it's a pet.

Sid said...

Ha ha ha. Wait are these university students? If so your education system must really suck. Bad languages?

adventures of a mad scientist said...

You had girls who cried during exams?

Man, these ones aren't as interesting as previous ones. Well, besides the bad languages one. I think this person didn't speak english very well.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love being in your blog! Henceforth, you should refer to me as "Ginger" in your stories! Yeesss!

For all of you who are not Eastern Europeans, I just returned from Bulgaria and am happy to translate... "Have Ginger as TA. She is rude, racist, have bad languages in lab. Horrible" roughly translates to "The major weakness of the lab in my worthless opinion is having Ginger as a TA. She is honest, direct, and on one occasion used inappropriate language for the classroom. My grade in her class was HORRIBLE because I refused to study as she suggested. However, I would rather blame my scores on English being my second language because I haven't learned to take responsibility even though I look older than Medusa."

I think the "bad languages" reference was made regarding a slip of the tongue (don't get excited, Native Minnow) in the 3rd lecture of the semester. In an attempt to describe the concept of a common ancestor in terms the local University academic bottom dwellers could understand, I tried to say "funky looking" and it came out "fuckin' loonkin." Everybody else laughed...including me. LOL!

I don't know about you, but when I learn a new language (this Lebanese "racist" speaks 4 conversationally, though I admit, I only speak English fluently) the first thing I learn after "Where's the bathroom?" is some kind of "horrible" offensive insult usually involving someone's mother in case the men (or women) try to touch my ass without invitation (this happens more often than one might expect). I'm sure she learned the "F-word" immediately upon initiating study of the English "languages."

I'm sorry, was that rude? Maybe she's right. I should quit my job for being so rude, racist, horrible, and have bad languages.

I've been told I should clone myself too! We're awesome! Also, I don't recall a section covering "Bacteria Phylums." There's one on protists...prokaryote v eukaryote...kinda a big deal. Maybe that's why the student didn't like it. It would be "leeeeessssss borrring" if they'd pay attention, yeah?

I'm so exited to start a new semester! Only 3 more days!! I'll try not to offend any more annoying kids who will then transfer into your lab...I'll push them off on the other TA this semester ;-) Horrible.