Monday, September 29, 2008

You can't go back and see it the way you saw it then, nobody can

You'd think that I would've had enough of the great outdoors with my mountain biking trip last weekend, but one of my friends is moving to Alaska on Friday and she wanted to hike to top of a nearby mountain. How can I say no to that?

Here are some of the pictures I took while on the trail.

Some fall colors:




On the forest floor:


Some gnarly roots:


Meadow on the ridgeline:


Dead wood:


Steep cliffs:


If there's one thing people have always been good at, it's leaving their garbage lying around:


The summit that we wouldn't make it to:


Because of this:


It wasn't so much the rain, but the thunder we were hearing that made us turn back. We didn't want to be the stupid hikers that got struck by lightning. It was probably for the best as I was so sore I could hardly get out of bed this morning. It was apparently too much for an old man like me to do in one day (we hiked ~15 miles with a 4000 foot increase in elevation). Still, it was totally worth it. Next time, I'll make it to the summit.

6 comments:

Heff said...

Yeah, that looks like some Wrath Of God stuff there. Good choice.

Manuel said...

looks amazing n all that.....I'm a sitter not a hiker.....I do good sitting...

Anonymous said...

Why so interested in dead wood???

Lillie said...

grrrrrr jealousy. I curse you from my cubicle!

Inklings said...

Shows you what I know, I didn't know Las Vegas had nearby mountains. I'm impressed. Beautiful pictures, by the way.

Bunny Hugger said...

I would have been able to say no to that. "I have a debilitating case of hemeroids" gets you out of pretty much anything...