Sunday, January 11, 2009

Been caught stealin' once when I was five

Let me tell you a little story about how to get someone to buy a shirt from you if you work in retail. Hey, it worked for the store I went to yesterday.

I had an item to return to a certain outdoors store. I made the exchange, but then they told me about the "super clearance sale" they were having. Items that were already marked down were now fifty percent off their sale prices. How could I not start looking around at that point?

There was a lot of good stuff, but I decided that I didn't really need any of it and that I was just shopping for the deal, and not out of necessity. I did find a shirt I liked, but wasn't sure if it fit me well enough to buy.

Around that time, a friend called to see if I wanted to have lunch with him. I told him where I was, and we agreed to meet at a nearby restaurant. I told my friend about the sale over lunch, and about the shirt that I wasn't sure about. He said he was going back over there, so if I wanted a second opinion we could go back over after lunch. So, we did.

Once in the store, I grabbed the shirt and went into the dressing room to try it on. I left the dressing room to get my friend's opinion on the shirt, and when I went back, my shirt and sunglasses were gone. I'd seen a store employee go into the dressing room, but couldn't find him after my stuff went missing. It took me five minutes to get someone's attention, and eventually talked to someone who went to check the lost and found. My sunglasses were there, but my t-shirt wasn't. Since I had nothing to change back into, I decided to buy the shirt I'd tried on.

It turned out that someone had placed my shirt into the re-stock pile. You know, because a five year old t-shirt looks like something you could sell. They did find it eventually, so everything ended up okay, short of a brief moment of panic that I was going to have to replace my sunglasses and about 30 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

So, if you're working in retail, especially on commission in a clothing store, you may want to think about stealing clothes out of the dressing rooms so your patrons will be forced to purchase the ones they're trying on. The boost in your paycheck might help you get through these tough economic times. Just a thought.

8 comments:

Delirious said...

Hey, they almost made a sale the day I got stuck in the dress.

Here is my question: If I get stuck in the dress, and rip it trying to get it off, do I still have to pay for it? ;)

Dee Ice Hole said...

Bet it is a long time from now before you leave your sunglasses sitting in a dressing room---you could buy lots of shirts for one pair of those puppies!!!!!!!!!!!

Nene said...

Now see, I would have thought they would have given you the shirt for free if you thought your shirt had been stolen.

Inklings said...

I'm like Nene, I thought you were going to say they gave you the shirt for your "pain and suffering".

2 Dollar Productions said...

This is a fine strategy for selling as we all have to do what we can to make the economy chug along, eh? I figured your stuff was gone for good, so I'm glad to hear it was just misplaced instead of flat-out stolen. Small favors.

Amber said...

Kaleb would say (of the idiotic sales person who took your stuff) "and THAT is why they work here"

Anonymous said...

I wish we sold nice sunglasses...

~Kris said...

I think Delirious' comment was so hilarious. "The one time I got stuck in a dress"
Those are the things that are just too funny!!!
(I would think you'd at least get a discount if you couldn't get it off)