Last week, one of my best friends lost his mother. Her funeral was on Saturday. I debated long and hard about whether I was too busy to go, then realized that it shouldn't matter how busy I am, some things have to be more important than anything else. Close friends fall into that category, so I went. I'm glad I did.
A few observations from the weekend:
- The good ones always seem to leave us too early.
- Cancer is a bitch.
- There is absolutely nothing you can say to console someone who has just lost their mother.
- Ditto for someone who has just lost the love of their life.
- My way of dealing with grief is to try and laugh it off (sometimes it works, sometimes it makes me look like a jerk).
- It's good to see old friends, even if it is at a funeral.