Sunday, February 12, 2006

Darwin Day

Charles Darwin was born on this day in 1809. His birthday is celebrated in circles where his discoveries still have a heavy influence on research (but most of you already know this). Sometimes I wonder how guys like him did it. If you've ever read The Voyage of the Beagle (or any of his books really) you have an appreciation for the breadth of Darwin's knowledge. The man was an expert on many things.

I've been studying biology almost half my life, yet I still don't feel like I have what it takes to become an expert. I know there are those who will disagree with that, but I think that is part of what drives me. I'm afraid of looking like an idiot, so I try to learn more in order to prevent my peers from thinking that. Is that healthy? Not really.

I once heard that in order to be a leader of this field you have to be willing (and able) to put in 120 hours a week. This was from E. O. Wilson who most certainly understands what it takes to succeed. The man is one of the greatest thinkers of our time, and when I met him at a meeting a little over a year ago, he spoke about having 5 books at some stage of publishing within a single year. I have my name on three publications so far (once my latest one comes out that is), with a fourth being prepared for submission. However, I have yet to successfully apply for a grant larger than $750. Do I ever expect to get to such a high level in my career? No. But I would like to get to where I'm competetive enough to actually get a job, and be successful enough to get tenure once I do.

8 comments:

ShootingStar said...

Wow you met E.O. Wilson! I am very impressed. Being an ant lover, I'm a big fan of his writing.

PsychDoctor said...

You have surpassed me in publications, and it will likely be downhill for me from here on out. I could see myself becoming an expert witness for a defense or prosecuting attorney, but that is as far as my expertise goes. :)
I have no doubt that you will continue to be very successful, but you still need to start putting in about 60 more hours per week. :)

Lauren said...

And here I was, thinking I was the only person who thought this way. You have no idea how bloody nervous I am when I think about what I want to do after graduate school.

I'm just that kind of person who doesn't really want a real job anytime soon.

Native Minnow said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Native Minnow said...

Oh Lauren, I have an EXACT idea of how nervous you are about what lies after grad school.

Psychointern is right. I need to start putting in a ton more hours every week. Maybe it would help if I quit spending so much time blogging :-)

ShootingStar said...

I don't think you'd be a better person, or a happier one if you worked 60 hours a week. Most of the time I think that I'd be happer if I'd just go swimming in a lake or hiking in the mountains during the hours that I write. (Well swimming in a lake in Feb. might not make me very happy)

Native Minnow said...

Maybe that's my problem. I already work AT LEAST 60 hours a week. I'm not willing to put in 120, of course, I make no pretense about trying to be as successful as Ed Wilson either.

PsychDoctor said...

I want the record to note that I acknowledged that you already work about 60 hours a week, and that you would have to put in "about 60 more hours per week" to meet Mr. E.O.'s recommendation. I think there are greater things to shoot for in life than fame...Like Shooting Star said, you would be a much happier person if you would put in your day at work, and spend the rest building relationships (like you do so well)...You have so many more friends that stay in touch than I do. :)