Monday, April 24, 2006

Tombstone

I watched the movie Tombstone yesterday. I hadn't seen it in quite some time, but I have to say it's one of my favorite westerns. I originally saw it when I was in high school and it was in the theater. A group of us went to the movie theater without really knowing what was playing. A few of us ended up going to see Tombstone while flieswithoutwings and shootingstar went to see Mrs. Doubtfire instead. After the movies were over we all met back up in the lobby, and we went on and on about how good the movie we had just seen was. We kept rubbing it in to flieswithoutwings that he'd gone to see such a lame movie just because his girlfriend wanted to. In fact, I think we rubbed that in for several months after the fact. It's funny that I still remember stuff like this.

I'd love to be as witty and cool under fire as Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holladay (but that's probably just because I'm a wimp and not very witty). I love the scene where one of the Cowboys is trying to intimidate him by twirling a gun around his finger, and gets fancier and fancier with it before he finally puts it into his holster, then Doc imitates the same thing with his recently emptied glass. Another one of my favorite lines is when there's about to be a gunfight in the street, and Doc comes out and draws his pistol. One of the cowboys sneers "You're so drunk, you're probably seeing two of me." Doc draws a second pistol and replies "In that case, I've got two guns. One for each of ya'." And of course, who could forget "I'll be your huckleberry."

Until I get some wit and toughness, I'll just have to keep living vicariously through the movies I watch. I'll have to make sure that there aren't any chick flicks in the future for me.

3 comments:

flieswithoutwings said...

And still rubbing it in now, eh? That's funny. I forgot about that. And I'm sad to say that Mrs. Doubtfire hasn't been my worst choice in movie selections over the years. It probably also had a little to do with the anti-cowboy attitude I had back then.

PsychDoctor said...

Hey, maybe a chick flick or two would help you in the ladies department...My co-worker informed me today that people who study monkeys, or monkey-ologists, as they are known to scientists, have said that they think there is now scientific proof that the wimpy monkeys that sit around the lady monkeys and groom them, are the ones that get to sneak off with them and procreate. She claims that these scientists now think that natural selection actually favors these wimpy, chick-flick monkeys. So, learn a lesson from our simian friends and start using chick flicks to your advantage.

Lauren said...

You watched Tombstone in the theater?? Man, you ARE old.