Sunday, May 21, 2006

I think I need a holiday from myself

I've mentioned before that I tend to pay close attention to song lyrics. That's usually what makes a song good to me, the darker the lyrics the more I like the song. Those of you who are very perceptive (and happen to listen to the same music as me) have realized that the majority of my posts are titled with song lyrics. I'm not creative enough to come up with all these things on my own, but I usually try to find one that relates.

One of my very favorite lyrics comes from the first few lines of a Wilco song titled Via Chicago. It goes like this:

I dreamed about killing you again last night
And it felt alright to me
Dying on the banks of Embarcadero skies
I sat and watched you bleed

Buried you alive in a fireworks display
Raining down on me
Your cold, hot blood
Ran away from me to the sea

Anyway, I was listening to my newest cd (Brendan Benson - The Alternative to Love) while I was driving, and a song was playing that I'd caught bits and pieces of, but never actually listened to what it was saying until then. I liked the song before, but my opinion of it increased ten fold once I put it all together. It's gold baby, gold (well actually, it's Gold into Straw, but I digress). Here are the lyrics to the first few verses:

I'm writing the words to this song with a poison pen
I'm turning straw into gold and then back again
When you used to be my friend
Before you turned your back on me in the end

I'm building a box made of wood from a tree that I grew
I'm sewing the lining in silk that I spun just for you
And I lay you to rest
I pour flowers on your chest, on your chest

And it's happened again
Pull a fast one on me
And I've got to be dumb
If it's always in fun

I'm digging a hole with my hands six feet in the ground
I'm chiseling this epitaph on a stone that I found
Meet this friend indeed
May he rest in peace and get on with

I'm learning to live with the guilt of remembering
I'm willing to try to forgive and forget this thing
That's gone on too long
You were right, I was wrong, so wrong

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That brings up the phrase "Cheer up, emo kid!"