Sunday, May 28, 2006

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name

I've spent the past few days at a meeting in Tempe. It was great. I got to see some old friends, meet some new people (some of whom were actually interested in my research), and get out of Vegas for a while. Meetings like this are good for me because I learn about what everyone else is doing, and see a few new things I can try which gets me more excited about my research.

Last night at the banquet I was sitting at a table with some of the big names in my field, guys who wrote some of the main computer programs that everybody uses for data analysis. The drawback is that sometimes when I'm in a situation like that I feel like I'm a mental midget surrounded by giants.

Later in the evening I was sitting at a table with four Spaniards, two Germans and a British guy explaining the concept of 'dry-humping.' At least there was something I knew more about than they did.

No comments: