Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Smile on mighty Jesus, spinal meningitis got me down

Sometimes I can be an insensitive prick. I've cracked jokes about the homeless, mentally handicapped people, a girl in a wheelchair, a blind woman (although that was on accident, I didn't know she was blind) and kids. These jokes are never within earshot of the people I'm talking about, but that only makes it slightly better. Yesterday I had another such moment.

I was driving back to my office from lunch when I had to stop and let some pedestrians cross the parking lot. One of them had a bad leg and was using a walker so he was taking a long time. I was going to be late for a meeting (plus my windows were up), so I muttered "Hurry up gimp."

My friend (who's agnostic) said, "You can't say that. I'm not even a believer and I don't even want to be near you right now. Just in case He chooses to smite you."

Just as he said that I looked to the left and saw two mormon missionaries riding their bikes. I said, "Not a believer huh? I think I know of some people who'd like to change that. I can arrange for a meeting right now if you want."

I know, I know, I'm going to hell.

5 comments:

ShootingStar said...

I don't necessarily believe in hell, but Karma might catch up with you in the end, especially because I think you take a wicked pride in your callousness--but its also what makes you so interesting.

flieswithoutwings said...

Reminds me of the time we were driving past that graveyard in Roosevelt where all those people were standing around an open grave and Psy.Intern raised his voice and said:

"What's the matter? Somebody die?"

Lauren said...

I've said worse things. Ask Chris, he might tell you about how I curse up a storm around little kids in public.

PsychDoctor said...

That is kind of embarrassing...I don't remember that, but it sounds like something I would say. I hope the window was rolled up...

Lindsay Logic said...

I think the windows were down, it was May. I was there...I remember too! **L**