Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I'm a negative creep, I'm a negative creep, I'm a negative creep and I'm stoned

One of my friends looked up my personality traits based on my date of birth, and sent me a message with what she found. I was talking to my ex-girlfriend on the phone when I got the news. I said, "Hmmm. Apparently I am 'nurturing, protective, expressive, smothering, moody and narcissistic.'"

She said, "Does that surprise you?"

I guess it didn't surprise her, so maybe I do fit the bill. I can be moody at times, but I don't really agree with the smothering or narcissistic part, but if it's in the stars I guess there's not much I can do about it. I'll just have to go along with my fate.

Now, dictionary.com lists four definitions for narcissism:
  1. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.
  2. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.
  3. Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one's own body or self, especially as a fixation on or a regression to an infantile stage of development.
  4. The attribute of the human psyche charactized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits.

I'm not sure which of these applies to me, but if one must , I cast my vote for number three (but just the first half).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have to say - based on your story about the guy in the wheelchair, the lack of empathy portion fits as well!

S

Anonymous said...

Can your friend do mine?