Sunday, November 12, 2006

Once every hundred-thousand years or so when the sun doth shine and the moon doth glow and the grass doth grow

Last night I saw Tenacious D in concert. They're touring for the first time in a few years to promote their new album and their movie, The Pick of Destiny. The show was sold out so we got their early to try and get close to the stage, but everyone else had the same idea and the best we could do was the back of the floor directly out from center stage. That was still close enough for me (I'm tall so I was able to look over everyone else and see the stage just fine).

The opening act was a comedian named Neil Hamburger. If you ever get a chance to see this guy perform, DON'T. It was the worst act I've ever seen in my life (If you clicked on the link you saw that's part of the goal. It doesn't make sense to me either). Most of his jokes didn't even make sense, and most of them were fairly repulsive to boot (example: Why did Madonna feed her baby Alpo dog food? She didn't have a choice, it was the only thing that would come out of her breast; this was one of the cleanest ones too). He only told one joke that I thought was funny (Q: What do you get when you cross Elton John with a saber-tooth tiger? A: I don't know, but keep it away from your ass), and the highlight of the show was when someone in the audience threw something and hit him in the forehead as he was getting ready to deliver one of his "punch-lines." I think it was the first time I've ever seen someone literally get booed off the stage.

The night got much better once Tenacious D took the stage. Those guys really put on a good show, and it really was more of a show than a concert as it had a story line intertwined with all the songs they played. They began the show with the stage set up like it was Kyle's apartment, and they were both sleeping on the couch (under a giant superman blanket). Once the crowd 'woke them up' they started playing. Eventually they decide that the band needs to take the next step and "go electric," but when they plug in the so-called electric guitar (a toilet seat with orange strings and a piece of cardboard attached) they get electrocuted and end up in Hell. There they decide to form a rock band which includes Charlie Chaplin, Colonel Sanders and the anti-Christ. I don't know who the people that were dressed up really were, but they could play. The rest of the show was a mixture of heavy metal songs and the traditional Tenacious D sound. There was even a "Rock Off" between them and the devil as they tried to cancel out a contract that KG had signed to benefit their careers.

I laughed almost the entire time. Watching Jack Black's facial expressions while he was singing was hilarious. The guy showed so much energy. They played most of my favorites off their old album as well as some stuff from the new one (I'm going to have to pick it up when it's released). I enjoyed the show even more than I thought I would. I guess you could say they 'rocked my socks off.'

3 comments:

Lauren said...

haha nice. wish i could have seen them. who else went with you?

Anonymous said...

yeah one of my dickshit friends sent me a text about that at 2am when I was pouting that no one came to OUR show. By then I was at Cheyenne enjoying ANOTHER crappy show.

The text: IM AT ART BAR WATCHING TENACIOUS D AND YOUUU AREENNNNTTT!!!

Yeah. I hate that guy. I bet those bartenders there made so much money last night. SIGH.

Anonymous said...

Oh and BY THE WAY someone needs to send me messages on myspace or something about this crap because for real I had no idea they would be there.