Thursday, December 21, 2006

Chickity China the Chinese Chicken

Lately I've been losing my faith in Chinese fortune cookies. It seems as though they just dole out good advice rather than telling me my fortune. Here are a few examples:
  • Put the data you have uncovered to beneficial use
  • Find release from your cares, have a good time
  • The mysterious side of your nature makes you most alluring
  • Every able man has more able men behind him

Now, I don't think that any of these would qualify as a fortune per se. It's not like they're telling me anything about what's going to happen in the future. But, they do happen to be good advice. They're even better if you follow the age old tradition of adding "in bed" to the end of each statement. Well, all except for the last one that is. I'm not really into that.

Others don't make any sense to me at all. Like the one I got the other day:

  • With integrity and consistency, your credits are piling up

Huh? What does that even mean? What credits are you even talking about? (college credits? I guess that could be the case) But more importantly, how is that a fortune? I want my fortune cookies to either tell me about something good that's going to happen, or to warn me about something bad. Either way is fine.

For example, "You will get to make out with three gorgeous women today" would be a good fortune. It might even become self-fulfilling in that I would probably just walk up and kiss the first three gorgeous woman I saw, whether I knew them or not, just because I knew that it was meant to be. Even if they got upset about it I could just show them the fortune and everything would be fine.

Or how about, "Today you will be raped by a psychotic Chinese restaurant owner." That would certainly get me to stop the chit-chat, pay the bill, and get the hell out of the restaurant (of course, if it was in the fortune cookie then it might be inevitable anyway, but at least I'd know to carry some vaseline or something for the rest of the day).

Now, having said this, I should probably point out that all hope is not lost. Two of my friends got fortunes that actually were fortunes the other day.

The first friend's fortune said, "You will travel to many exotic places in the next few years." He is also the friend who is moving shortly to start working on his Ph D, and just found out that his future advisor got a grant that will send him to Tanzania (and likely other parts of Africa) to do his dissertation work.

The second friend's fortune said, "An interesting musical opportunity is in your near future." This came just minutes after we had been talking about the Peanut Butter-Jelly dance, which he had never seen and we promised to email to him.

If that's not an interesting musical opportunity then I don't know what is.

7 comments:

Delirious said...

Okay, I don't know if McDonald's counts, but one time they had chinese food on their menu. I ordered it to try it out. I got a fortune that said I would meet a tall dark stranger. I met my future husband within a week or so after getting that fortune.

Native Minnow said...

Chinese food from McDonald's? Now that's just scary.

Anonymous said...

YOU RACK DISCIPRINE!

we chinese can see the future. the ones that make no sense were most likely mistranslated.

Anonymous said...

Put the data you have uncovered to use and you will be a rich man would have been nice.

Anonymous said...

Chinese food from McDonald's? And you lived in China and were willing to give it a try???
Too bad you didn't save that little fortune, you could have put it in your wedding album!

ShootingStar said...

Dear Derek

You will continue to make people laugh for year and years

Sincerely

Your fortune

Anonymous said...

Don't use Vaseline, it'll eat through the condom...that is...if he wears one.
AP