Thursday, December 07, 2006

Discover me discovering you

Every now and again I'll play a CD that I haven't listened to in a while and fall in love with it all over again. This just recently happened to me with The Downward Spiral from Nine Inch Nails. I was on my way to pick up my kids and head to my parents' for Thanksgiving and put it in about 30 miles north of Vegas. It's stayed in the CD player in my car until this morning.

Everybody's heard the songs Closer and Hurt, and even though those are the reason I bought the CD in the first place, they're probably not the best songs on the album. One of the reasons that it remained in my car stereo for so long is that there's a stretch of about 8 songs that I absolutely love. Every time I'd start thinking that I should change the CD, it would move to the next song and I wouldn't want to change it until I'd listened to it just one more time, then I'd do the same thing with the next, and so on.

I mentioned this to my brother (not a NIN fan) and he asked, "Why would you want to listen to that album so much? Is it because you like to feel all disgusting and gross inside?"

I must.

6 comments:

Native Minnow said...

And yes, I think it's incredibly funny that I titled a post about NIN with a John Mayer lyric since they are basically polar opposites.

I really don't like John Mayer.

Anonymous said...

I didn't say that, so it must have been your other brother.

deputymomof6 said...

You did say it, I was standing right there.

Native Minnow said...

You did say it. Maybe not verbatum, but we already know that I'm liberal with my quotation marks around here.

flieswithoutwings said...

Pretty Hate Machine is still one of the coolest albums of all time. NIN's other stuff is good but Trent Reznor kind of bugs me how he writes mindless lyrics that are blantently meant to push dumb kids over the edge. And it smacks of effort-in-being-evil to buy a former Charles Manson murder house for the sole purpose of turning it into a recording studio. Oooh, scaaaaarrrryyyy. Just stick to the music, songboy. The world isn't lacking in mopey-teen idols.

Anonymous said...

Eraser and Reptile! That's allz I'z gots to say.
Aaron