Saturday, December 23, 2006

So let's keep things neutral, stick to topics that won't bug us

I mentioned the fact that I was giving a Christmas present to my ex-wife to a friend of mine the other day. He acted a little surprised, and I guess that's a normal reaction, but I don't think we're like most divorced people. We're actually still pretty good friends. At least most of the time.

As is likely the case with any divorced couple, there are certain topics that still bring out very strong emotions when they come up. Things that she and I will never see eye to eye on, and still fight about at times. Of course, the things that make me upset are all valid. The things that upset her are all stupid (just agree with me on this). Without getting into any details about what those things might be, just know that one of them came up last night while I was talking to her on the phone after we'd discussed Christmas plans. It got to the point where I just hung up the phone because I didn't feel like dealing with it any more*.

Then I had to go wrap her present. When I placed a label on the package I really wanted to write down one of the following:

To: My ex-wife
From: Thank God for the prefix

To: The bitch I used to be married to
From: The saint who can do no wrong

I just wrote our names though. It is Christmas time after all.


*we talked again this morning and she said her apologies after I'd had a chance to explain some things to her, so we're back to being friendly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats why I don't even write names on the crap anymore. Everyone knows that like ALL the presents are for the kids anyway.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure every ex has a few gift tag ideas. ;)
I just wish someone sing a song about a dead beat dad so I could download it for when MY son's dad calls. :)

Anonymous said...

You have to be a pretty big person to get along with your ex do well. Just keep that in the back of your mind when she's being a biotch.