Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dear Chicago

I don't have much time these days, so instead of taking the time to post something that would change your life, I'll just give you the lyrics to one of my favorite songs, Dear Chicago by Ryan Adams. I tried to find a decent video of it on YouTube, but the sound wasn't good on any of them. If you haven't heard it already, go spend $0.99 on itunes and download it. You'll be glad you did.

Here are the lyrics:

Dear Chicago,
You'll never guess
You know the girl you said I'd meet someday
Well I got something to confess
She picked me up on Friday
Asked me if she reminded me of you
I just laughed and lit a cigarette
Said that's impossible to do
Life's gotten simple since and it fluctuates so much
Happy and sad and back again I'm not crying now too much
I think about you all the time
It's strange and hard to deal
I think about you lying there and those blankets lie so still
Nothing breathes here in the cold
Nothing moves or even smiles
I've been thinking some of suicide
But there's bars out here for miles
Sorry about the every kiss
Every kiss you wasted bad
I think the thing you said was true
I'm gonna die alone and sad


The wind's feelin' real these days
Yeah and baby it hurts me some
Never thought I'd feel so blue
New York City you're almost gone
I think that I've fallen out of love
I think I've fallen out of love
I think I've fallen out of love with you


In other music news, I told you I'd report on the cds I ordered; Band of Horses-Everything All the Time, and Califone-Roots and Crowns. They're both good, but right now I like Band of Horses better. That could be because I'm on my 7,562,321st time listening to it and I just haven't given Califone enough listening time though. If you're looking to pick up a new cd, I recommend it. In fact, take out a second mortgage on your house and go buy it even if you can't afford it (ok, maybe it's not that good). To me, Band of Horses sounds like The Shins and My Morning Jacket, and if you don't know who those bands are, well, then I'm friend breaking up with you right now.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I've heard of the Shins, that's half. Does that still count?

I'll have to go check out the Band of Horses (HA! I almost typed Asses - Band of Asses!).

Anonymous said...

Can you loan me a dollar?
I swear I'll pay you back next payday.
:)

Lauren said...

I didn't really get into Band Of Horses. Usually when I'm looking for new music, I'll go through iTunes and sample all the tracks. Usually those 30-second clips have to attract my attention, otherwise I know I'll never be able to get into it. I have enough music as it is and I'm trying to get through the entire Of Montreal discography before they come to town.

Anonymous said...

I'm really into BOH, Shins and MMJ right now so I qualify as unassailably cool, right? Also whats extra special good on my iPod right now (yeah, I went there) is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Okkervil River....get it...got it?....good!

Anonymous said...

I do like that song, I just listened to it. Thanks for the $1.

Anonymous said...

The Califone CD definitely requires a few listens before it starts to sink in. I'm just getting into the new Shins and The Good, The Bad, and The Queen. It's snowing here again.

Native Minnow said...

Michelle, I guess I'll let you slide this time. But don't let it happen again, alright?

Lauren, 30 second clips have to impress, I think that just shows a short attention span. Can you say ADD (or ADHD)? Oh, and Of Montreal had better be as good as you say they are. I suppose I still owe you $10. I'll get it to you sometime, I promise.

Ver Girl, we already know you're cool. I mean, you do have an ipod and that's pretty much all it takes, right?

Rural Murder, I really like the Califone cd too, but I pretty much just listen to it at night so that doesn't give it a lot of time to impress me before I nod off. Soon I'll put it in my car and probably listen to it non-stop for a couple weeks. That should do the trick.