Friday, January 26, 2007

I know your best was still your worst

Here are some examples of things it's ok to say to your lab instructor during the first day of lab.
  1. I was thinking about transferring to another lab, but only if I can get into another one of yours. I heard you were the best TA.
  2. I heard that you were the hardest TA, but that it's a good thing because you really know your stuff and know how to teach, unlike a lot of the others.
Here are some examples of what not to say. At least not if you're intent on getting a good grade.
  1. When he tells you to just call him by his first name rather than Mr. [Minnow], you should not reply, "Well, you do have a lot of years on you."
  2. When he walks by and overhears you say, "He's so cute." You should not follow that up by looking at him and saying, "No, not you."

And here is something not to do.

  1. You should not believe the writing on the board stating that your instructor is a "jerk mcjerkface jerkpants."
You can go against my advice and say (or do) these things if you wish, but don't come crying to me when you receive a failing grade even though you deserved an A.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Did someone say you were cute last night?! And you? Hardest TA? Man, someone needs to stop putting crack in the water.

By the way, stop kicking babies and setting cats on fire.

The board is TRUTH! Read it and believe!

Anonymous said...

of course you would never let your personal feelings about a student interfere with their grade.

Anonymous said...

Unless that student was like, really smokin' hot....right?
(or really freakin' ugly)

Native Minnow said...

Starlet, of course I wouldn't. Kris, not even if the student was really freakin' hot.

Native Minnow said...

And just in case anybody's wondering, I make sure that I don't even look at names while I'm grading to avoid any unintentional bias. Just had to make sure I said that so that everyone would know that I really am an ethical person.

flieswithoutwings said...

But you still know which students are dotting their i's with little hearts without seeing the name, don't you?

Anonymous said...

I know that you are a good person and a fair person...
I'm just playing.