Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Good morning how are you I'm Dr. Worm.

One of the benefits of being a grad student is that you are allowed to check books out from the library for a semester at a time. Then, at the end of the semester when it's due, you can just check it out for another few months if you need to. One drawback to that is that it's a lot of time in which something can be misplaced.

I've had one book for the better part of a year. I use it regularly, and should probably just buy my own copy, but as they say, why buy the cow when you get the milk for free? (oh, that's not what that saying pertains to? hmmm, I'm confused.) Anyway, while I was working on the written portion of my comps (not to be confused with Mein Kampf), I'd come across a few other books that had been cited and appeared to be useful sources for me to use, so, I checked those out as well. Then, sometime in early January I took everything back to the library.

Or so I thought.

I got a letter from the library saying that the cow, I mean the book, was overdue. Knowing that I had returned it a few weeks prior to the letter, I went to the circulation desk and filled out some paperwork to have them extensively search the library so that they could find it.

Nothing came up.

I got another letter telling me that they had searched for it but couldn't find anything. They told me I should once again search my house, car, etc. just in case I had misplaced it. They also said that if it didn't turn up then I was going to have to pay a replacement fee. That made me upset. I went back to the library and told them that it hardly seemed fair that I was going to have to pay to replace a book that they had lost. They weren't very sympathetic. After all, they probably hear excuses for this kind of thing all the time, but this time it was me. I'm never wrong. I stopped short of telling them they were incompetent, but it was definitely implied.

Another week went by and I found the book. It was tucked into my laptop case from when I flew to Massachussetts for my friends' wedding. Rather than swallow my pride and admit that I was wrong, I was going to just pay the fine and keep the book. Unfortunately, I'm broke right now and can't afford to do that. Plus, they add a $35 processing fee to the overall cost of the book. I figure if I buy it myself I should pay the cost of the book and no more. So, I took it back this morning.

When I turned it in I did what anyone in my situation would have done. I lied and told them that my mother had borrowed it without asking.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

your mother, huh? You should've made up some elaborate story about how you were searching the stacks for another book and found it (even better, say you found it one shelf below where it should've been). If they express disbelief, then you could act all righteous (a stretch, I'm sure) and storm out. A little drama for their mama.

whenever possible, never take responsibility for your actions. that my creed.

Anonymous said...

your mother, huh? You should've made up some elaborate story about how you were searching the stacks for another book and found it (even better, say you found it one shelf below where it should've been). If they express disbelief, then you could act all righteous (a stretch, I'm sure) and storm out. A little drama for their mama.

whenever possible, never take responsibility for your actions. that my creed.

Anonymous said...

oops....didn't mean to double post and give you that temporary feeling of popularity when you see there are 3 comments....

Anonymous said...

Pride or Money?
Always a tough, tough choice.

Anonymous said...

Or when you have no $, the $ issue always wins. I know.
I went with my sister the other day and we bought a container of milk that leaked all over my school book the other day. Now this book is about $50ish and instead of replacing it, every time I turn a page I have to tear the bottom of the page from the following page. CRREKKKE is what it sounds like and it's all crumpled up. I will post it on my blog.

PsychDoctor said...

Funny...I think it is funny when you create a distinct memory that is false...Like the time I reported my car stolen, when I had actually parked in a different place.

Delirious said...

I think you should have dropped it in the overnight drop box....then you wouldn't have to face them.

And did they really believe that your mother borrowed "Spawning habits of Trout"?

Native Minnow said...

Ver Girl, the joy at seeing 3 comments was fleeting. I actually started to get an ego for a second.

Kris, normally I'd go with pride. If I'd already received my tax return I would have. Even though just found a free pdf copy of the book online.

Delirious, it was actually "Great Basin Aquatic Systems." That's I thought it was funny to blame it on my mom.

Inklings said...

Oh, sure, blame it on your sweet, innocent mother! (Who would NEVER read GREAT BASIN AQUATIC SYSTEMS, by the way)

Anonymous said...

Why are you too broke to pay for the book, did you spend all your money at the strip clubs???

Anonymous said...

Nope...he spent all his money on his secret girlfriend....

Christo Gonzales said...

money?did I miss it