Friday, February 16, 2007

Who says don't look back? Don't believe 'em.

Sometimes I like to do things to people just to see what their reactions will be. I used to do it a lot more often than I do now. I'm not sure if that's because I'm finally starting to grow up a little, or if it's because I'm surrounded by people who I suspect would retaliate in nasty ways. I suspect it's the latter.

A few years ago when I was working on my master's degree my friends in the lab and I would do things to annoy each other just for shits and giggles. However, one time I crossed a line and it still comes back to haunt me to this day.

You see, there was a guy in our lab who tended to annoy everyone. It wasn't anything specific, just his overall personality and existence. He had a picture on his desk that he held near and dear to his heart. It was of him holding a fish that he'd caught. One day I decided that I would put it in a frame on my friend's desk:


Needless to say, my friend was not amused. Especially considering the fact that I had to remove the picture of his two daughters from the frame. The next time I came to the lab, the photo was taped to my wall, so I took it down and put it back in the frame on my friend's desk. The cycle continued another two or three times until my friend decided it had been enough. After that I came in and found the picture glued to my binder with copious amounts of rubber cement. There was no way I was getting it off, so there it stayed.

Occasionally I'll need to go through old notes to brush up on topics that I haven't thought of in a while. When I do I am reminded of my shame:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally...this is one of my favorite Belk/Shiozawa lab moments. That picture of C**** is one of the funniest things ever. I'm glad you posted this blog today. It made me laugh.

steph said...

that's still totally something i would still do now. i'm not really a fan of ever growing up though, so i say keep pasting pictures of annoying pictures, because it is an awesome, lifelong keepsake.

Anonymous said...

HOLY SHIT, that made me laugh. Seriously, I'm sitting here with my inlaws and I'm cracking up and I think they think I've totally lost it. Good times.

Ryan said...

You are much more mature than I am. I would have taken the notes out of the binder, and by using "copius amounts of rubber cement" - glued the binder to his desk.

I'm probably a little like your friend... my very existence is annoying.