Thursday, April 19, 2007

'Cause I haven't been too brave but mostly frightened

Thirteen years ago today I was in a hospital in a small town in northeastern Utah. I was reading magazine articles about death of Kurt Cobain, trying to take my mind off the wave of nausea that was bubbling up inside me.

I was scared. Scared of what was in store for me that day. Scared because I was waiting to experience one of the best things to happen to me in this lifetime.

I was anxiously awaiting the birth of my little baby girl.

It was a long wait.

At the time, we lived an hour and a half away from the hospital, so the doctor decided to induce labor the previous day to save us from having to make another trip. There were a few complications, but after approximately 19 hours the moment had finally arrived, and my life would no longer be the same.

She was the most beautiful little froggy looking thing with a smashed up face that I'd ever seen. At 9 lbs. and 20 1/2 inches she was rather plump. Plump enough that when my car wouldn't start in the parking lot and my mother had to make the drive to pick us up at the hospital and take us home, her cheeks jiggled with every little bump in the road. As my mom drove and I watched her cheeks jiggle, car problems were the farthest thing from my mind. I was a dad.

A lot has happened over the past thirteen years. After several moves, two college degrees (with a third in the works), two little brothers for her, and a divorce, I no longer live with my baby girl, and she no longer has the pudgy cheeks that jiggle in the car. But I love her every bit as much as I did then, if not more. Even if she does like to do strange things like wear aluminum foil on her teeth.


Happy Birthday Baby!!!

10 comments:

Native Minnow said...

I really, really wanted to start this post off by saying "Today you turn 156 months old." A few of you may even have understood why.

Anonymous said...

I remember those little cheeks jiggling in the car. My son had them, too!
You have a teenager.
You have a teenager!
You have a teenager...and I don't.
hahahahahahahaha
I can't emphasize the hahas enough.
I love your baby girl, too.

AnoMALIE said...

Uh oh... looks like somebody's not-so-subtly implying they want a grill... j/k
What an adorable kid... I mean, teenager!

Inklings said...

I love your little girl, too. I remember saying, "What fat little cheeks you have" to her when she was a baby and swearing I could see her think, "Yours aren't so skinny yourself" right back. But do you remember when she was born and her mother said to me, "And I am giving her to you on the day she turns 13"???? :0)

Native Minnow said...

I didn't remember my ex telling you that until you brought it up. I'm willing to bet that if you called her and reminded her that she wouldn't follow through with her end of the bargain though.

PsychDoctor said...

Man...a teenager...

Ryan said...

Hey, congrats!

That was a really good post.

She may not live with you, but I'll bet she still turns your hair grey before she turns 18.

I would wager money on that.

Anonymous said...

You have a teenager, and she's pretty---You are in sooooooo much trouble!

Lauren said...

>:D Oh, teenagerism.

Anonymous said...

You have a very pretty little girl.

What a great memory to have kept.