Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I think I thought I heard that you loved me

Crazy things are happening here in The Shallows. We're talking major life changes for me here. Yesterday I told you about how I became German, and now I think I've picked up a wife.

I went to the grocery store with a friend of mine to get some snacks while en route to a party. My friend didn't have any cash, so she wanted to pay for half the items with her card, but when we went through the checkout, I didn't say anything when the cashier rang everything up at once.

When she read us our total I looked at my friend and said, "Ha ha, I win."

I punched in the number for my savings club card and paid. When the cashier handed me the receipt she looked at us and said, "Thank you very much Mr. and Mrs. [Minnow]. You saved $3.98."

I need to look into whether or not this is a binding legal arrangement. This is Vegas after all, maybe our Vons cashier did have the power vested in her by the state of Nevada to legally pronounce us husband and wife.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

apparently, somewhere (not sure which state(s)) if you pronounce/refer to someone as your wife in public, then technically you are in a common law marriage. Maybe you have to do it 3 times or something?

I know I remember reading that somewhere....

Anonymous said...

In the shallows...
That was a funny sentence.
Congratulations, are you registered somewhere?

Native Minnow said...

Ver Girl, I've heard that before too. I think my brother used to joke about it with his girlfriend when they'd check into hotel rooms.

Kris, we're registered at Vons. The one in the ghetto where we began this journey together ;-)

flieswithoutwings said...

If she pronounced you husband and wife and then handed you a receipt then it sounds pretty binding.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you have to return wedding gifts if your marriage doesn't work out in Vegas.
You could get married like every day

AnoMALIE said...

Ah, yes, yet more validation to (for? Oh English, you're such a pain!) my Homewrecker Theory (can you validate a theory? Oh man... a week into summer break and I'm already forgetting everything).
;)

Delirious said...

Good thing you got a receipt..in case it doesn't work out you can exchange her. :P

Anonymous said...

Ver Girl, I've heard that before too. I think my brother used to joke about it with his girlfriend when they'd check into hotel rooms.

I assume you are talking about your other brother...PI