Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Once you're outside you won't want to hide anymore

My youngest sister graduated from high school on Friday. I took my kids to the ceremony so that they could see her give her valedictorian speech, hoping that it might inspire them to do well in school. My sister is someone who I would hope my kids would strive to be like. However, since kids tend to be clueless about these sorts of "life lessons" my motive was probably lost on them. I'm still glad we went.

Here's my sister giving her speech. She did a really good job. Much better than what my brother and I did for ours (more on this later).


Not to take anything away from my sister and what she's accomplished (graduation, valedictorian, 4 year college scholarship), but I think the best parts of the weekend came after her graduation ceremony. Notably, the kiddie trike olympics that were held in my parents' driveway later that evening:




Or Sunday, when I took my kids to Goblin Valley. First, we went on a short hike through a slot canyon just outside the park. The actual hike through Little Wild Horse Canyon is a nine mile loop. Since we didn't have a lot of time (or water) we only hiked about the first mile, then turned around. We hiked the entire thing about seven years ago when my oldest kids were still young, but they didn't remember much about it so I think it was good that we went again. They certainly seemed to think it was cool. As you can see, it's a great place to go to find out whether or not you're claustrophobic.




On the way back my youngest got tired of walking.
Him: Dad, can I have a piggy back ride?
Me: Yeah, but why do you have to be so lazy all the time?
Him: Because I love it.

After we got back to the car we drove to Goblin Valley and hiked among the rock formations.

It had already been a pretty long day at that point, plus we had a long drive back to my parents' house, so we didn't stay there too long. After about an hour I told the kids that we needed to start heading back to the car.

My youngest: Why? I'm happy here.

Obviously:


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better take down the picture of sister MJ as it has the name of an identifiable building and dad might have a coniption... :) PI

AnoMALIE said...

Screw claustrophobia... there's a great deal of people here in Vegas that straight up wouldn't even fit through that narrow place.

Anyway... lovely, "Aww"-worthy photos.

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Goblin Valley, whereabouts is it? SW didn't make the pic list, huh?

Native Minnow said...

Kris, it's about 50 miles south of Green River, UT. So basically, out in the middle of nowhere. Even though the slot canyon is literally a few miles outside of the park, this was my first time to the Valley of Goblins. I've been wanting to do it for years, and finally just said screw it I'm going.

I didn't dare put SW on the pic list. I didn't know if he'd be very happy about it if I did. I was already nervous about putting some of the ones that did make it, but I figured I could deal with the wrath of those who are pictured here.

Anonymous said...

You crashed on the kiddie trike? Get up, you girl!....just funning you.

Great pics, too. You all look so happy.

Anonymous said...

SW doesn't even know about our blogs, so all is safe.