Monday, June 04, 2007

La Cienega Just Smiled

In lieu of anything interesting today, I'm just going to give you one of my favorite songs: La Cienega Just Smiled by Ryan Adams.

Oh the night here it comes again
It's on with the jeans the jacket and the shirt
How'd I end up feeling so bad
For such a little girl

I hold you close in the back of my mind
Feels so good but damn it makes me hurt
I'm too scared to know how I feel about you now
La Cienega just smiled, "See you around"
And I hold you close in the back of my mind
Raise my glass 'cause either way I'm dead
Neither of you really help me to sleep anymore
One breaks my body and the other breaks my soul
La Cienega just smiles and waves goodbye

Oh the night here it comes again
It's off with the jeans the jacket and the shirt
How'd I end up feeling so bad
For such a little girl
And I hold you close in the back of my mind
Feels so good but damn it makes me hurt
I'm too scared to know how I feel about you now
How I feel about you now
La Cienega just smiles and says "I'll see you around"

I bought the CD (Ryan Adams - Gold) as I was going through my divorce, so I was in a pretty fragile emotional state. This song would make me lose it every time I played it. At least if I was alone. It still brings up some pretty strong emotions from time to time, and that's the sign of a great song. At least in my opinion. I don't know that this clip really does the song justice, but it's the best one I could find on YouTube. I hope you enjoy it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. The best songs come from an extremely emotional time in your life when you hear a song and it just hits you...
And then even 10 years later, you hear that song again and have a flashback of the emotions. I have one song that makes me cry still...
From when I was young. It was Melissa Etheridge, but I can't remember the name of the song.
I wish I could click on that song you posted, but unfortunately, the guy in the next office is working today. Like of all days...he's never here.
;)
Come to think of it, I'm never here, either. ;)

steph said...

i like this is a lot different than your normal posts -- of course, i love your normal posts, but i like that this is a different side.

PsychDoctor said...

One of my favorite songs too...thanks for introducing me to Ryan Adams... :)