Thursday, August 23, 2007

Every highway that I go down seems to be longer than the last one I knew about

Got a minute? Good! Have a seat and I'll share a few random thoughts and observations I had while I was on my trip:
  • I am amazed by the number of drivers that obey the speed limit.
  • This is either the cheapest or most expensive hotel room I've ever had. I'm not sure which.
  • I don't know how anyone can afford to drive an SUV. That said, anybody who wants to gain my undying affection can buy me a Toyota Highlander and they will have it.
  • Pretty much the only thing I saw while driving across southern Idaho was volcanic rock, sagebrush and potatoes, thus lending support to Maddox's claim.
  • Even if it is your name, you should try to come up with a better company slogan than "R. C. Worst Co. - Expect the Best from Worst."
  • Does anyone stop and read historical markers along highways? Didn't think so.
  • Blow up doll + Rope + Road sign = Hilarious!
  • Sandpoint, ID was very disappointing this time through.*
  • It is extremely difficult to convert kilometers to miles in your head. Luckily, I had a built in conversion table. (This was probably the first time I've ever paid attention to the little numbers on the speedometer.)
  • For a country that uses the metric system, there are sure a lot of places in British Columbia that are named using the English system (e.g., 16 mile lake, 70 mile roadhouse, etc.).
  • British Columbia has a lot of hitchhikers on its highways, but all of them are dudes. That's probably because any attractive female hitchhikers get picked up immediately.
  • Signs on public restrooms are a bit more graphic in British Columbia than they are in Las Vegas. This seriously cracked me up (enough that I walked several hundred yards to the vehicle and back, just so I could take the picture):
  • Enough bugs on a windshield can look like a deer on the side of the road.
  • Enough rain can wash all the bugs off a windshield without the driver having to do a single thing.
  • I don't get to drive down roads like this often enough:
  • August 11 is too early to be driving through snow!
  • Seriously, what are Canadian geese doing in Canada?
  • Ryan Adams' new album Easy Tiger isn't as bad as I initially thought.
  • It must be some kind of rule that if you're Mennonite you have to drive a navy blue colored vehicle.
  • It's easy to win a cheesy fingers contest when you've got the whole bag of Cheetos to yourself.
  • The time to start wondering whether your rental vehicle has all the components necessary to change a tire is not right after you've blown a tire on a remote, unmaintained Forest Service road, in bear country, at dusk.**
  • The most optimal place for a road closed sign is NOT 85 km down a road that is only 87 km long. Especially when that road is a remote, unmaintained Forest Service road in bear country.
  • Vancouver is my new favorite city, but it's not easy to navigate solo. (I'm sure the fact that I missed my exit had absolutely nothing to do with the blonde woman driving next to me in a sporty little red car.)
  • A bag of Riesen's candies should last longer than twenty minutes, but doesn't.
  • Canadian customs officials are all nice.*** United States customs officials are assholes.
  • I would marry Aimee Mann for her voice.
  • After going nine days without a shower, you still feel clean as a whistle after only going three.
  • Stinging nettle really does sting!
  • There is absolutely no reason for any public restroom to still be using bar soap, and even less reason for there to be pubic hair stuck to a bar of soap in a public restroom! (I'm talking to you gas station in Redding, CA.)
  • Does anyone ever use the O/D Off button?
  • I may need a lesson in stopping to smell the roses because I was seven miles from Crater Lake and didn't drive there to have a look.
  • If you get pulled over for speeding while on an Indian reservation, will the penalty include scalping?
  • The universe may have been trying to tell me something when I drove through Whiskeytown while listening to Whiskeytown (purely by coincidence).
  • I'm not sure there's anything in the world that tickles as much as a bug flying up your nose.
  • I'm thinking about changing study organisms to a species of fish that's a lot easier to catch, and tastes a lot better too: (The best part about this picture is that you can see how fast I'm going while one hand is filled with Swedish fish and the other is snapping a picture of it. I'm such a safe driver!)
  • This song makes me a little teary eyed every time I hear it.
  • I may have single handedly kept the bottled water industry afloat (bonus points to anyone who can spot the two bottles of flavored beverages I drank on the trip).
  • I have peed in enough forest that, according to the rules of the animal kingdom, the southern half of British Columbia is now mine.
  • I don't wake up in places that look like this anywhere near often enough!


































*The first time I drove through Sandpoint, there were women in bikinis on every street corner. That's not an exaggeration. This time through? Not a single one.
** After fixing the tire, I drove about two miles down the road and saw a bear.

*** Even with their beady eyes and flapping heads.

8 comments:

Lindsay Logic said...

Glad you're back safely! These pictures make me want to go there!
***L***

AnoMALIE said...

The Mennonite observation... now that I think about it... has to be true! That's all they drive down there in my part of Mexico... maybe that's the secret behind their awesome cheese??

P.S. Nice photos!

Native Minnow said...

L, it was the picture of the men's room door that made you want to visit, wasn't it?

Anomalie, the observation came when I drove past a Mennonite church and every single vehicle in the parking lot was navy blue. It seems like it was all vans and suburbans too. I'm not sure what's going on there, but there's got to be a reason for it.

silentkid said...

Awesome post and great pictures. I use the O/D off switch all the time. I like the Cheeto-grease. You've got to eat those things with latex gloves on.

Native Minnow said...

Oh yeah, I forgot one:

I have a huge ego!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. It's fun to see pics of somewhere else.

steph said...

i'm not back yet, but i am still reading your blog.

pubic hair on public soap makes me want to die.

your pictures are beautiful! i need a vacation like that!

mindy said...

hey! I like Idaho. Personally, I think a state where not too much happens has quite the advantage of states where EVERYTHING happens. And apparently so do a lot of Californians, who have been moving to Idaho in droves for the last decade.

Though the drive between Burley and Boise is about the most monotonous stretch of road outside of the midwest.