Saturday, October 27, 2007

Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence

If you there was going to be a television program about you, what band would you want to write and perform the theme song?

I'm asking you, but I also posed this question to one of the guys that I work with.

Him: I'd probably go with They Might Be Giants.
Me: That's who I'd want too. Although, Ween would probably come up with a pretty good one too.
Him: Yeah, Ween's got some weird stuff.
Me: But They Might Be Giants is one of my two favorite bands, so I'd definitely choose them over Ween.
Him: Good point. So tell me, what's your favorite They Might Be Giants' song?
Me: I can't just pick one. That's like asking me to pick my favorite child*.

However, after some deliberation, I tentatively settled on one.

Me: If I have to pick one right now, I guess I'll have to go with Ana Ng.
Him: Oh, that's a good one. It also explains a lot. That's why you're so attracted to Asian girls.
Me: Well, I'm not going to deny that I'm attracted to Asian girls, but I wouldn't way that's the reason why.
Him: I was starting to think it was some weird childhood fetish.
Me: No, it's just because so many of them are hot!

Ana Ng is an older song from Lincoln (one of their early albums), but it's definitely got staying power. Here's the music video followed by the lyrics.



Make a hole with a gun perpendicular
To the name of this town in a desktop globe
Exit wound in a foreign nation
Showing the home of the one this was written for
My apartment looks upside down from there
Water spirals the wrong way out the sink
And her voice is a backwards record
It's like a whirlpool and it never ends

CHORUS:
Ana Ng and I are getting old
And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence
Listen Ana hear my words
They're the ones you would think I would say if there was a me for you

All alone at the '64 world fair
Eighty dolls yelling small girl after all
Who was at the DuPont Pavilion?
Why was the bench still warm?
Who had been there?

Or the time when the storm tangled up the wire
To the horn on the pole at the bus depot
And in back at the edge of hearing
These were the words that the voice was repeating

CHORUS

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
"I don't want the world, I just want your half."

They don't need me here and I know you're there
Where the world goes by like the humid air
And it sticks like a broken record
Everything sticks like a broken record
Everything sticks until it goes away
And the truth is we don't know anything

CHORUS (3X)






* Well, it would be if I'd fathered multiple songs over the past few decades, which I haven't, but you get the point.

3 comments:

steph said...

that is a GREAT song. TMBG is pretty fabulous.

As for what my personal theme song would be...that's hard. i think because so much of the music i like is moody and serious, but mostly in reality i am a spastic clutz.

i have a new game to play at work now!

flieswithoutwings said...

This video is so close to my life that it's practically plagiarism:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_uEBd1Ud4ak

But this one isn't far off the mark either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDIGaiNO270&NR=1

Amber said...

Mine would be Running to Stand Still by U2