Wednesday, December 26, 2007

In 1984 I was hospitalized for approaching perfection

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Mine turned out to be much better than I expected. I got to talk to my kids while they opened presents, which wasn't quite the same as being there, but at least I got to hear some of the excitement. I also got to talk to most everyone else in my family, and had a good dinner at a friend's house, so I can't complain.

I am going to share part of one of the coolest presents I got. My mom put together a short family history with old family photos and the stories behind most of the major events in our lives. One thing you should know about my mother, and that is that she's a very talented woman artistically. She's also kept a journal her entire life (we're talking like 50 volumes here), and she always sets aside a few pages here and there to write down all the funny things that we said or did while we were growing up. She does this with her grandkids too. She calls them the "family funnies" and they're the only pages in her journals that she'll let other people read. I think everyone in our family loves reading those. I know I do.

Here's where the artistic part comes in. Another thing my mom does is draw cartoons. She's quite good at it, and this year she included a few pages worth of "family funnies" for each of her children that she drew up and included with the family story.

Here are a few of mine*:












Seriously, can anything beat my reasoning as a small child?



*I've cropped each one to be its own image, and in the process of doing so, took off her name and the date. Don't steal her stuff.

10 comments:

Karen said...

That's brilliant that you got to talk to the kids and share a little part of their day.

I love your Mum. That is a fantastic idea and such a great legacy for you, your children and theirs. She is very talented and you sounded like a cute little monster :)

Michelle said...

That is such a wonderful thing for her to have kept up all these years!!

Love Love the cartoons.

What a good Mom.

Dee Ice Hole said...

I have thought it was funny ever since she started doing the cartoons that you can tell who each character is in the drawings even though they aren't really flashy drawings---I have always loved the cartoons.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad we have a creative Mom. I opened mine on Christmas Eve and laughed and laughed at all the Family Funnies. I read the book on Christmas, it was a neat thing for her to do for us.

steph said...

that is one of the most awesome things i have ever seen. your mom rocks!

plus, very cute kid reasoning!

AnoMALIE said...

Your mom has officially entered my list of "Favorite People."

The most my mom ever gives me is a lecture on the topic of her choice.

Lucky Minnow... I'm jealous.
:P

Anonymous said...

Your fishing rod is still broken...except the last time we went to the Green... :) Ryan

Delirious said...

Yay! I've been wanting her cartoons put on a blog since she started hers! Now you need to teach her how to do it. :)

mindy said...

AWESOME! Those are absolutely fabulous. What a great comic subject you are. Oh, and you make a pretty cute character, too. (I wonder what you'd look like now, all hunched over?)

Anonymous said...

Great work.