Thursday, December 06, 2007

The price of gas keeps on rising, nothing comes for free

So, my back isn't feeling any better. In fact, if anything, it's feeling worse. Not only am I having difficulty walking around, but it's also hard for me to drive because it hurts to work the clutch. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow, but until this gets taken care of, I'm minimizing the amount of driving I have to do, and am having friends drive me places whenever possible. Today, while my friend was being my personal chauffeur, he had to stop and put some gas in the tank.

Him: Remember when you used to be able to buy $20 worth of gas, and you actually got plenty of gas.
Me: Yeah.
Him: Now you only get like six gallons for that price.
Me: I know. It sucks. Especially when you consider that when I was in high school a gallon of gas cost less than a dollar.
Him: I remember that. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago.
Me: Then again, I remember when candy bars used to only cost a quarter.
Him: I don't remember that.
Me: When I was a kid, my mom would make us Valentine's Day cards and would tape a quarter to them so that we could buy a candy bar, but that probably just means I'm old. I even remember when it used to only cost $5 to buy a hooker.

Yup, those were the days.

4 comments:

Amber said...

I remember specifically the day that I went to take my ACT test, I was a senior, and I filled up my dad's car and it was $0.86 a gallon. These are the stories that we'll tell our grandkids, but we will probably have to explain what gasoline was first.

Dee Ice Hole said...

When you were a baby we were going to school--we used to wait until late Friday night for the gas wars top start for the weekend and they would drop the price of gas across the town to $0.259/gallon. We would fill up and head south for Guard drill---usually cost less than $5.00 for the tank full.

Jenny said...

I remember being paid $1.80 an hour to work at my University.

God, I'm old.*

*hoping that makes you feel better about your back.

Anonymous said...

I worked for $3 an hour at the Conoco... :) Dr. Psycho and sold 79Cent gas