Friday, December 07, 2007

I've got the hungries for your love, and I'm standin' in your welfare line

A few years ago, before I moved to Vegas, a couple of the guys I worked with and I came up with the perfect restaurant idea. We never got around to trying to open it, but I suppose it's never too late. We were going to call it The Little Hobo. The only food on the menu was going to be clam chowder (although we were going to call it clam chackle) and baked beans. The only drink would be whiskey. The food would be cooked over an open flame, of course, and served in the can it came in. Normally the customers would be expected to eat everything served to them, since portions would be small, but in the rare event that someone couldn't finish, we would wrap their leftovers in a bandana, and tie it to a stick.

Here's a model:



Our original plan was to have the restaurant in a shack, but I like the boxcar idea better. I think we should still see about opening up for business.

6 comments:

Manuel said...

great idea.......do you need a waiter or will it be a self service sort of deal...?

Joanna Cake said...

I live in England... Im sure that's the upgraded model of our transport cafe in a campervan version! Happy Holidays!

Now, since AB has sat you next to me, you must be the funniest person I know... so entertain me :)

Aunty Belle said...

Ha! Yep, the little hobo would be a welcome spot fer vittles--a real sense of fun--from the funniest person ya know!

steph said...

genius.

you know what's weird? all my kids call homeless people "hobos." i never used that word except for this one bizarre study in elementary school where we studied hobos and the symbols they would write to each other on train cars...what a weird theme. it's a very old timey word to me, but all the kids here use it all the time.

probably they would eat at your boxcar.

~Kris said...

I wouldn't eat at your boxcar.
I don't like clam chowder, because I ate it and immediately threw up.
It still reminds me of that very vomit.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea...I also like my idea of solving world hunger by opening a restaurant that served normal portions, charged the full amount, and gave a portion to charity to help stave off hunger...Dr. Psycho