Saturday, December 15, 2007

The wind blew me back via Chicago in the middle of the night

The following comes from a recent tour announcement for Wilco, one of my two favorite bands:

"Chicago in mid-February. Those of us who've spent a few winters there can attest that it is not for the meek or easily intimidated. That said, there's nothing like walking out of a venue post show to a howling 30 mile an hour arctic wind off the Lake (a few short blocks from the Riv...), icy snow blowing in your face. In the old days, we usually opted for the Green Mill while the crowds thinned. Anyway, now that we've weeded out the less ambitious among you, we'll also explain what makes this a sort of "don't miss" week for Wilco fans. Over these 5 nights the band will endeavor to perform every song in their now extensive ouvre (or is that canon)? This includes all the studio recordings and their contributions to the Mermaid Avenue records. Plus, who knows what else? To further clarify, the plan is NOT to do the material sequentially or chronologically. Rather, they're just going to attempt to cover it all over the 5 shows. It'll be a real blast, we're certain."


It's times like these that I wish I was independently wealthy. What I wouldn't give to be in Chicago for those five shows.

4 comments:

Karen said...

For someone like yourself, who is a true fan that sounds like the ultimate concert. It sucks not being rich sometimes.....

Upset Waitress said...

Well, when I get desperate enough for something I don't have the money for...I simply sell by body :)

Native Minnow said...

Gypsy, yes it does!

Waitress, I don't think I could get enough buyers to pay for a week long trip. I'll look into it though.

Anonymous said...

Ha...you would have to pay your customers... :) Dr. Psycho