Thursday, February 28, 2008

We can't live on science alone

I spent several hours yesterday grading exams. When we grade exams, everyone who is associated with the class picks a question, then we all sit in a room and grade until everything is done. We try to make the best of it, usually by making fun of students' answers. Sometimes we make fun of students for how wrong they are. Other times, we just make fun of the wording they use.

For example, the question I graded asked the students to list several influences that Darwin had on contemporary thought. One student wrote, "Another thing Darwin put out there for us all is . . ."

It was awkward wording, so I read it aloud because I wanted to see how it sounded. As I did so, somebody interrupted me.

"Darwin put out. What a ho!"

Somebody else added, "Hey, there was nothing else to do on the HMS Beagle."

10 comments:

adventures of a mad scientist said...

Hey, he must have been a damn good lay. Scientists are the best lovers, after all.

Jenny said...

Funny, I don't remember any WOMEN being on the HMS Beagle.

Anonymous said...

Do you know how I know..........?

h said...

The question sucked too. Let's keep the hard sciences separate from the rest of their naval-gazing bullshit courses, shall we?

Karen said...

Well Professor, I'm glad I'm not one of your students :)

2 Dollar Productions said...

I would think things like that are one of the big perks of grading. That is a very awkward construction, but maybe Darwin was also known as a swordsman.

Native Minnow said...

Elbee, we really are, aren't we?

Boxer, fair point.

Notdory, yes, I know.

Troll, I agree that it's a bad question, but I don't write the exams, I just grade 'em.

Gypsy, in more ways than one.

$2, stuff like this definitely helps to keep us entertained while we do it, but sometimes it gets painful.

silentkid said...

Nerds.

deputymomof6 said...

Makes him sound like an exhibitionist, in my opinion. Guys should not just "put things out there." :)

Anonymous said...

You left out some of my favorites :-)

Question: Identify 3 major differences between prokaryotes and eukaryotes

Answer 1. Eukaryotes don't DO binary fission.

Answer 2. Prokaryotes and eukaryotes are the most abundant lifeforms on the planet.

Question: Give a working definittion of osmosis.

Answer: Osmosis is when water goes to where it wants to be.

Can't wait to see ya at the next grading party ;-)