Thursday, May 29, 2008

What the world needs now

I called my sister last night to talk to her about a favor she'd asked of me. After she answered my questions about that we ended up talking for quite a while. She mentioned that someone had stopped by her house and dropped off some cake, then called as they left to let her know it was sitting on her porch. When she got home, her cat had eaten a good portion of it.

Weak minded as I am, her simply mentioning the word 'cake' put a craving inside of me. I couldn't let it go, so, while I continued to talk to her I drove to the store to purchase a cake mix. Of course, then I had to purchase a few other things to go along with it (frosting, eggs, etc.). Once I had everything I needed I headed for the check out. As I did so, some Hershey's chocolate syrup caught my eye.

Me: Oh, I guess I need to get some chocolate syrup too.
Her: What do you need that for?
Me: To put on my ice cream.
Her: Ice cream? I thought you were making cake.
Me: I have some ice cream at home too, but I ran out of chocolate syrup to put on it.
Her: You're having cake and ice cream? What, do you think it's your birthday or something?

8 comments:

~Kris said...

You can always find someone's birthday to celebrate in a family as big as ours. :) You were celebrating mine late, or Ms early.
:)

Nene said...

Hey, I think it's great that you actually made a cake instead of just buying one at the grocery store bakery! Good job!

AnoMALIE said...

Wwwwowwww! You bake cakes from scratch?
You're officially one of my heroes now... I'll make that change on Myspace eventually... when I get on myspace, if I ever get back on myspace.

Native Minnow said...

Epitome, I'll go with celebrating yours late. That way I can make another cake and say it's for M's.

Nene, grocery store bakery cakes are gross. Their frosting is gross. The cake itself is gross. Mine are so much better.

Anomalie, it's not exactly from scratch if I'm buying a mix, but go ahead and put me on your heroes list anyway, if for no other reason than the fact that I can make one from scratch if/when I desire.

Simon said...

Recipe for a quick, easy and very tasty ice cream 'cake'.
You need: One big tub of ice cream,(vanilla works best) a cake tin, and various chocolate / candies.
Buy the ice cream from the store, and before putting it in the freezer, let it melt just enough to be able to stir it slightly. Poor the ice cream into the cake tin. Break up your chocolate / candies into the ice cream and stir together. Place in freezer. Once frozen, eat, and become fat. Good chocolate / candies that work for this are things like Flake, Aero, M&M's, Dairy Milk, Milkyway - anything that breaks easy and doesn't contain nuts.

mindy said...

cake and ice cream--it's not just for birthdays anymore. ;o)

AnoMALIE said...

you mean, there's an even more difficult way to make a cake?!
(I kid, I knew that... I just didn't read correctly the first time around. That's the kind of stuff that kept me from being an extraordinary student, I guess. Poor reading comprehension)

Regardless. You're going up on the list... I don't know any other guy that knows/enjoys? baking cakes... well, I did know one guy, and I almost married him off to my sister.

Native Minnow said...

Simon, that sounds pretty good. I may have to give it a try.

Mindy, that's going to be my new catch phrase.

Anomalie, it's good to know that I'm on my way up.