Sunday, June 01, 2008

What you've been told is what you're told is the disco infiltrator gone cold

When I was at the music festival a couple weekends ago, I bought some neon trinkets for my kids. A necklace for Tortellini, and some light wands for Togers and Mr. M. I'll freely admit that I had no self-control and played around with the light wands the night I bought them. They were really cool. You could set them to a specific color, or could have it flash through the spectrum of colors. Luckily, I didn't drain the batteries before I sent them off.

My ex-wife called me to tell me how much the kids liked their trinkets. She said Tortellini loved the necklace (which was a little surprising to both me and my ex. After all, teenagers aren't exactly easy to please - there was a good chance Tortellini would've thought the necklace was lame. I'm glad she didn't).

Luckily, the light wands are resilient in the face of abuse. The woman that sold them to me showed me how hard you could hit it on the table and still have it work. She didn't say anything about water resistance, but that came in handy too as Mr. M. immediately filled his up with water to see what that looked like.

The boys turned off all the lights in the house and were swinging them around and my ex cracked a joke about how it looked like something you could take to a rave.

Togers: Yeah, I know. Dad bought them for us at a rave.

Ex-Wife: No, your dad wasn't at a rave. He bought them at a music festival. There's a big difference. Your dad doesn't go to raves.

I'm glad she set him straight. The last thing I need is Togers going around to his friends and telling them (and their parents) that his dad lives in Vegas, goes to raves and buys him cool hippie trinkets there.

10 comments:

deputymomof6 said...

That would make him more popular at school. Plus, there is a FINE line between a music festival in vegas and a rave. :)

Anonymous said...

what are you talkin about, you'd be the coolest dad ever and all the other kids would be jealous!

Karen said...

NOW you're worried about your reputation?????

Native Minnow said...

Good points, all of them.

2 Dollar Productions said...

Just be careful loading him up with gifts of glowsticks & pacifiers & your reputation will remain clean.

AnoMALIE said...

Awww, raves! The [lack of] memories that word brings to me :]

(I do remember being pretty damn annoying though, with all those bright bracelets and the outfits... and... everything... man...)

Anonymous said...

Duuuude, Big D! Awesome rave last night bro! You were soooo wasted! Same time, same abandoned warehouse!

Native Minnow said...

$2, glowsticks are ok, but I draw the line at pacifiers. He's going to have to go out and buy his own if he wants those.

Anomalie, so you've been to one?

AP, ha!

AnoMALIE said...

Are you kidding me, dude? "One" is... underestimating.
You see... I went through a phase during most of my teen years...

And now techno (and a ton of other styles, like breakbeat, trance, drum and bass, etc) is sort of a guilty pleasure I don't readily fess-up to.

mindy said...

that's a great story. I can't believe Tortellini is a teenager. yikes. (man, it took me 3 tries to get Tortellini spelled correctly.)