Saturday, August 09, 2008

You're the firestarter, twisted firestarter

A friend came over to watch the opening ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics last night. He picked up some Thai food on the way over. (We thought it might be more appropriate to get Chinese take out, but couldn't think of a good Chinese restaurant near my house.) My friend is vegan, so I told him just to get veggie or tofu dishes and if Togers didn't like it he could heat something else up. Of course, I didn't tell Togers he was eating tofu because I didn't want to give him any reason not to try it. He liked it. I told him that automatically made him a hippy. It's a slippery slope.

When I told Togers why we got tofu, and asked him if he knew what it meant to be vegan, he said he didn't. So, I explained it to him: Being vegan means you're not allowed to eat anything that doesn't have chopped up babies in it.


Later, during the parade of athletes, my friend and I had this brief exchange:

Friend: Holy crap! How many athletes did Brazil send?
Me: Looks like there's a Brazillion* of them.


As the parade continued, we began to speculate about the lighting of the torch.

Friend: How do you think they'll light it this time?
Me: Well, they're going to try to top the archer shooting a flaming arrow to light it. My guess is that they'll set a Tibetan monk on fire and throw him into the cauldron.

Togers laughed hard. A little too hard. I might be raising a homicidal maniac. I have no idea where he gets it.






*That joke never gets old.

6 comments:

Mr. DNA said...

Chopping up babies is not gay.

Bill From Gainesville said...

that joke always works....

Lindsay Logic said...

A brazilian...funny.

*L*

Jenny said...

I'm annoyed to say so, but that IS funny.

And, being nearly Vegan, I can say that pretty much sums it up.

Manuel said...

tremendously funny......

steph said...

hahaha, as a vegan (except for the fish babies i eat), that is an awesome description, and one i will be sure to use. especially at functions where people ask, "BUT, WHY are you a vegan?? don't you know what you are missing?"

and i will say, "i do NOT miss eating chopped up babies. how's that going for you?"