Thursday, October 08, 2009

No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful, everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful

The weekend after I defended my dissertation I went mountain biking. The area is near my grandparents, so I took the long way home and visited with them. Almost as soon as I arrived, we had this conversation:

Grandpa: We heard a rumor about you that we weren't very happy with. It was about a job you've applied for.

Me: Oh. My mom must have told you that I applied for that job in the Philippines.

Grandpa: She did. And trust me, you wouldn't want to live there. You have to boil everything before you eat it. Eggs, vegetables, everything.

Me: Yeah, but it would only be for a couple of years. Besides, it's not very likely that I'll get the job anyway* because I'm sure there are a bunch of candidates I'm competing with, and I'm probably not even close to being the most qualified.

Grandma: Well, you never know. They might not have many applicants.

Grandpa: Yeah, but if you do get it, then you'll have to move.

Me: Not necessarily. I could always turn it down, but I don't think I would. If they were to offer it to me I'm pretty sure I'd go.

Grandma: It could be a good learning experience for you, but we'd sure hate to see you move that far away. We hope you find something closer. Although, maybe you could come back with a little Filipino girl. They sure are beautiful.

Me: Tell me about it.







*I never heard anything after submitting my application. Not a good sign.

10 comments:

Heff said...

Philippino chicks are HOT. I'm just sayin'...

h said...

I did a Fillipino chick once. And coincidentally, posted about "The Eels" today.

Inklings said...

It sounds like a good sign to me. :0)

Kymical Reactions said...

you should listen to your grandparents. Why would you want to upset them? :)

Lightning Strikes said...

Gotta love those two! I would hate to see you move that far away even if it were only for a couple years, hell I think Vegas is too far away and it's only like 8 hours from me! Lol Good luck to you in your search though!

adventures of a mad scientist said...

They are p attractive. I have personal experience with this.

2 Dollar Productions said...

My Dad has taught classes in the Phillipines (engineering stuff), and he is not a big fan of the place, so for what it's worth, I'd hold out for something in a different locale.

Amber said...

yeah my friend Jay went on a mission there and for years afterwards he talked about how he wanted to marry a filipino woman

Jenny said...

I boil all of my food, but that's just way I cook.

Lillie said...

It would be a shame if you couldn't eat raw eggs right out of the shell anymore though.