Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Spent the night in Utah in a cave up in the hills

Last week I spent a few days in Moab, Utah for a scientific meeting. My boss, his master's student, and I skipped out on a session of talks so we could go check out Arches National Park.

The road through Arches:


Along the roadside:


Cairn marking the trail:


Stone steps:


Approaching Delicate Arch:


Delicate Arch:


We did this the morning of the day that park ranger got shot. Pretty crazy. I hope they catch the guy. We saw the beginning of the manhunt. There were well over a hundred law enforcement officials, and even an FBI helicopter.

And in case you were wondering, the meeting was fun (I knew a LOT more people there than I thought I would, including two very good friends), my talk was well received, and I'm told I did a good job even though I went into it with very little preparation (considering I was still writing it at the beginning of the session in which I was presenting - Who says procrastination never works?). Next year's is in Mexico. I'm already starting to lobby my boss to let me go to that one.

5 comments:

Amber said...

good times! congrats on your great talk! those steps are so cool, i wonder how long it took to carve them out - too bad your next trip isn't to NEW mexico! ;>

Heff said...

Nice. I spent the night with a woman.

She rolled over constantly, hit me in the face with her arms, and shoved her knee up my ass on more than one occasion.

I got no sleep.

Love,

Searching For A Cave In The Hills.

nobich said...

What a neat place! & sorry about your ass Heff..

Bill From Gainesville said...

Maybe the guy who shot that park ranger was sleeping in that very same cave, but he was with a woman that kept elbowing him, and got no sleep and was cranky and when he asked the ranger for directions out of the desert the park ranger gave him a snoody answer so thats why he shot him on account of him being cranky sleeping in a cave with a woman?

Anonymous said...

Maybe the hippie they say is a suspect is innocent and some chick he spent a night in a cave with framed him because he kept ramming his knee in her ass.