Tuesday, April 24, 2007

You know I'd even learn to cut my throat if I thought I could fit in

About a week ago, a friend's brother came to town for the weekend. They spent the first few nights doing some of the more typical "Vegas" things such as cruising around in a limo to see the sights, seeing one of the shows on the strip, etc. By Saturday night they just wanted to take it easy, especially since his brother's flight was early Sunday morning, so they decided on having a little get together at my friend's house that night.

Now, for a completely different subject that ties in later in this paragraph, I have a pair of shorts that I like to wear on days when I'm not planning on seeing anyone. I've had them for a while, and there's an atrocious rip under one of the back pockets, so my ass basically hangs out, but I can't bring myself to throw them away. I had them on that morning because I was supposed to meet my friend and his brother at the pool earlier in the day and figured it wouldn't matter because I would just be changing into my bathing suit then. I thought I would just shower and change between the pool and his house so I could show up looking somewhat presentable. At least that was the plan.

The complicating factor for the day was that I nearly forgot about a meeting I was supposed to go to at noon. I didn't remember about the meeting until after I'd left the house to grab a few things from the office. I went straight to the meeting from the office, even though I was wearing my assless shorts (hey, at least they're not leather chaps). The meeting ran long, so by the time I'd finished there and called my friend, he and his brother were leaving the pool. He told me that the gathering at his house was still on and that I should show up around 7. I told him I would.

Of course, then I decided to do a favor for another friend, then she and I started talking about stuff and next thing I knew it was past time for me to have been at my friend's house. I still hadn't showered or changed clothes, the first of which I was able to take care of at my friend's house before we left (I even used some of her spray on deodorant), but the assless shorts were still on. I decided that it didn't really matter, so we just went to the party. Sure I didn't get there until 2 1/2 hours after I said I would, but that's just how I roll. I'm a lot like Paris Hilton in that respect.

While at the party I made some comment about the huge hole in the back of my shorts. My friend's brother replied, "You know what else is wrong with those shorts? They're denim." Another guy added, "Yeah. That's so 1990's."

I want to make it clear that I only have a few pairs of denim shorts, but not all of them are old and ratty. In fact, I believe I bought a few as recently as last summer. I really didn't know that they were officially "out of style" until that night last week.

Now I know I'm fucking old.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and today you're a year older!! Happy birthday Big D!
AP

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
You are only as old as you feel...
I'm sixteen. Unless I go for a walk/run/jog. Then I'm 80.

AnoMALIE said...

Assless shorts... that could get you on a Maury makeover show, you know.
You're not "old"... just kind of stuck in the 90's, like most of us are (I'm still getting My Little Ponies for my birthday, and not because I want to see whores).
Anyway, happy birthday, "old man."

Anonymous said...

Wow! Happy Birthday!! Hope you get what you want!

Delirious said...

Happy Birthday! I remember when you were a baby, I used to play with you alot. I thought you were one of the prettiest babies I had ever seen. :)

steph said...

yeah, i try to hang on and pretend i'm a teenager, but every once in a while, it hits me...not necessarily when i am wearing assless denim, but it does hit me.

deputymomof6 said...

Please make sure that your just older brother knows that denim is out, he still wears his stonewashed ones out in public on purpose!! Or, let's not talk about the FREE camo ones he just brought home that are six sizes too big... he wears them anyway, because they were FREE. Heaven help me.

On a different note... Happy Birthday. I can't buy you what you want here, but I can next time I am in Vegas. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah baby...I am wearing the camo shorts...with a belt, right now. :) PSYCHO